Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

curved fill

Tom Krowka
Enthusiast
I have a circular driveway that is going to have a brick border. Imagine the border 8 inches wide, with bricks side by side around the inner and outer diameter of the circular driveay.

Is there any way to align the fill (bricks) so they will be side by side? The joints would be on the radius line to the center of the circular driveway.

Thanks.
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable
hi there,

there is a way to do this, and if you are likely to reuse the fill (i.e. for same radius borders) may be worth doing...

basically, draw a line to represent a required brick joint and multiply (using rotate function) to full circles worth of lines;
select all lines drawn and cut, create new symbol fill and paste.

you should then be able to draw fill to location required with link to fill origin at centre of border arc point;

but, if it's a one off, you could save yourself the extra steps by just drawing the lines on the appropriate layer and grouping them together.

hope this helps...
__archiben
Booster
...or you could actually make yourself up a symbol line type of one row of bricks in straight line and then use that linetype with the circle/arc tool.

sometimes it works well . . . depends if you're after rough cobbles or precision bricks.

HTH
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
good one!!!! i hadn't considered that...much more flexible.

although if you need to take off quantities for paving areas then a fill may be better (although i believe in AC9 slabs have integral fills in 2d view...can anyone confirm? which would have the added benefit of vectorial fills in 3d/section window).
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have done this procedure many times (all of our sidewalks are brick pavers with a header course border as you describe), using the line type method. For my quantity measurement, I used a fill or slab to get the area.

I have found the line type to be successful. I some cases, I just use the multiply/rotate command to delineate the bricks and their joints. Unless you are zooming in to the extreme, using a single line to delineate both brick and joint works very well.

Rip Weaver, ASLA
Town Landscape Architect
The Town of Mt Laurel

Mac OSX 500mHz cube
Archicad 8.1/9
Tom Krowka
Enthusiast
I think after all your input (which I appreciate) I'm going to make a brick out of a slab and multiply it in an arc. I don't know how that work out if I had to do a take off on it.......not part of my scope of work.

I really don't want to ask how to do that. I have not done it yet on any project so I'd have to do some research on my own first.

Thanks
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Djordje
Virtuoso
Tom wrote:
I think after all your input (which I appreciate) I'm going to make a brick out of a slab and multiply it in an arc. I don't know how that work out if I had to do a take off on it.......not part of my scope of work.
However tempting this may be ... Don't.

This will add millions of unnecessary polygons to the model.

The joint will look equally blurred in any usual scale, and you will see that it is a wedge joint or a non-rectangular brick only in the detail.

Use the Symbol line method, even better and more flaxible than the custom fill on the slab. Instead of the slab, I would use wall tool for snaking kerbs. Just as editable as the slab, even more so in some cases.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tom wrote:
I have a circular driveway that is going to have a brick border. Imagine the border 8 inches wide, with bricks side by side around the inner and outer diameter of the circular driveay.

Is there any way to align the fill (bricks) so they will be side by side? The joints would be on the radius line to the center of the circular driveway.

One of my favorite tricks to do complex patterns in drawings without file size bloating is this (axon of a pattern attached):

1. Draw the pattern using arcs, lines, fills or whatever with 2D tools.
2. Save as a DXF
3. Open the DXF as a library part and save
4. Place the object in the drawing where needed

In any view with contours on (wire frame, hidden line, shaded with contours) the lines will show. By the way, you can use this to add dimensions to 3D views (save just the dimensions as a DXF)
Tom Krowka
Enthusiast
Djordie & others:

If I follow the process you suggest it would be as follows:

1. Draw the brick curbing as a polywall, with a solid brick-like color.

2. Create a new symbol line that is bricks in a row.

3. Draw the new symbol line over the center of the polywall.

Is that right?

Thanks
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Tom Krowka
Enthusiast
Ok Now I'm having a problem creating the symbol line type. I've tried creating the "brick" from which the symbol line would be derived in 1:100 scale, as directed in the help menu. However, when drawing the symbol line, the size of the brick is nowhere near 4" x 8". Plus, the vertical 8 inch lines are extended past the 4 inch horizontal lines. Any help on that issue?

Also, will this symbol line, assuming I ever get it drawn, show up on 3d?

Thanks,
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com