Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

hole in a slab and height of the walls - AC15 Renovation

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there,
Two issues regarding the AC15 Renovation
1.How to make a hole in a slab and mark it as a demolition.
2.Cutting from the height of an existing wall?

For the 2nd I found a workaround to make an empty window on top of the wall large as the wall and mark it as a demolition but this is how we supposed to work?

Thank you!
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Partial demolition is always a tricky matter to model.

For the slab I would just model a plug of the same slab in the hole and mark it for demolition.

Using the window as a void to demolish the wall seems sensible to me. The alternative would be the old fashioned way of splitting the wall into two parts.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Renovations in general are very very tricky, Graphisoft sails in shallow waters with this renovation feature and we need to guide them to find the best solutions for real life situations..
Before the Ac15 I do the same as you describe, oldies but goldies

Thank you,
Anonymous
Not applicable
What if the existing wall has a window and I demolish down to the middle of the window? I can't do the demolished part with a wall on top of the remaining wall just like that, one window can't be on two continuous walls...
Anonymous
Not applicable
And for the slab isn't a solution to make a copy of it and one as existing and one as new with the hole on it... on the demolition plan will appear as you demolish the whole slab instead of a hole and make the renovation feature useless.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Catalin wrote:
And for the slab isn't a solution to make a copy of it and one as existing and one as new with the hole on it... on the demolition plan will appear as you demolish the whole slab instead of a hole and make the renovation feature useless.
What I suggested is not a copy of the slab but to fill the hole with a slab and set the filler to be demolished.

I am inclined to agree that the renovation feature could do with improvement but I haven't actually used it yet. Only looked it over a bit. With the kind of work I do I probably won't have much use for it unless is expanded to provide for more complex phasing.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok Matthew, I understand your point about the slab.
Please find attached one example for the wall issue.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I would suggest to split wall,
put new doors and windows in new wall,
and make empty opening for remaining (existing) part of wall,
you might have hard time adjust floor plan view,
but AC has always been about workaround...

btw
I've had same issue like you for a slab in my project,
and solve it just as Matthew has suggested...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
Catalin wrote:
What I suggested is not a copy of the slab but to fill the hole with a slab and set the filler to be demolished.

I am inclined to agree that the renovation feature could do with improvement but I haven't actually used it yet. Only looked it over a bit. With the kind of work I do I probably won't have much use for it unless is expanded to provide for more complex phasing.
The problem is, that if you
1. Place another slab for hole,
2. Mark it "to be demolished",
3. Create a separate layer for it,
4. Switch that layer to wireframe mode,
5. With Solid Element Operations subtract a hole in the main slab,
then in 3D it will display correctly for existing plan only (you'll see hole in 3D). When you change Renovation to planned status, hole in 3D will not disappear, that is the lack of Solid Element Operations.

But I found a way, to do this without using Solid Element Operations (ArchiCAD 17+).

1. Create a layer, e.g. "Slab holes" and make it Wireframe in Layer Settings for all you layer combinations,
2. Draw a POLYGONAL WALL with shape of the hole, and put it into the layer "Slab holes",
3. Set bottom level of the wall same with slab's bottom level, and top level for 1 mm higher from story level (to make the wall visible on floor plan),
4. Open "Building Materials", create a new material with 999 Intersection priority and set this material to drawn wall,
5. Set "to be demolished" renovation status to this wall.

Now in Existing Plan you will see the hole in the slab, because of 999 priority, but in the Planned Status you will not see any hole.
Achille Pavlidis
Enthusiast
So there is no way to have a hole in the slab set as "New Status"?

I have a slab and I want to open a hole at it. I can select just the polygon of the hole (not the entire slab) but cannot set its status to "New"...

Mac OSX 13.6.6 | AC 27 INT 5003 FULL