Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

how do you model this roof?

Dave Brach
Expert
this is an L shaped one-sided hip roof. One leg of the L is narrower than the other. I made it by doing a regular hip roof then dragging the ridge over to one side on both legs. But the corners of the hip were not at 45 degrees so I started dragging nodes around to get it to look right--but this was all by eye. There's got to be a more precise way.

Picture1.png
Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura
AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
10 REPLIES 10
In a nutshell, just set the edges of the roof that are touching the house to be gables. Another approach is to pretend that the upper story isn't there, and then subtract the roof at the second story using the pet palette. Hope that's clear.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Anonymous
Not applicable
I came across an issue that has just popped up in 17. When creating Gable Roofs that intersect with another Gable continuing beyond the ridge of the lower roof it gets cut off at the outer edge of the upper roof in a 3D model even though the roof is extended properly under the higher portion. This is the first tile I have experienced this.
Karl Ottenstein
I'm guessing that your issue is that the Trimming Bodies are not set up properly.

See this and related Help articles:
http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-17-int-reference-guide/virtual-building/constructio...

Note that the trimming bodies can be edited separately from the roofs themselves.

See also:
http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-17-int-reference-guide/virtual-building/constructio...
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I got to the Design; Connect Tool and was able to get the roof to extend under the upper roof by Clearing all connections which then changed clipped walls under the lower wall. The trimming issue will work only one way.
David Maudlin
Rockstar
ROBERT wrote:
I got to the Design; Connect Tool and was able to get the roof to extend under the upper roof by Clearing all connections which then changed clipped walls under the lower wall. The trimming issue will work only one way.
If the Connect command is too broad, then kill the Connect and SEO the Walls and the Roof.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
The fastest and easiest way to solve the problem was to mirror the lower roof and cut off the upper roof at the gable wall that is the only way to Connect trim the gable wall at the outer location.
Graphics oft needs to correct this problem internally.
Karl Ottenstein
ROBERT wrote:
Graphics oft needs to correct this problem internally.
You haven't provided enough information to suggest that this is an AC/Graphisoft problem vs one of not using the tools the way they were designed to be used. There haven't been many posts from folks having problems, so it is hard to tell if you've come across a unique situation that needs to be addressed or not.

If you do hope/want Graphisoft to change/improve this... then more information is needed.

Can you post images of what your exterior walls/roof are supposed to look like? (Attaching image format files is preferable to PDF. As you can see in your previous post, the PDF does not get an inline preview image.)
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
The plan has a major roof that terminates at the middle of the building. There are two opposite smaller roofs that form gables away from the main roof overhang. I have created Gable walls at the location of the exterior walla at the end of the roofs.
When I use the Connect tool to trim the Gable wall to the two roofs, the lower roof will clip itself of to line up under the upper roof overhang leaving a gap on the lower roof away from the back wall. It doesn't occur on the plan but on the 3D. If I try and undo the Clipping of the roof through the Connect tool then the gable wall will clip off at the intersection of the main and lower roof ridge line. It results as an either/or conflict.
I have also developed a Ceiling Composite which includes 1' of insulation. When I trim this to the roofs the portion under the lower roof is reduced to the width of the vacant area under the upper roof overhang. If i don't include the lower roof in the clipping then the ceiling sticks out of the lower roof. There is no way of correcting this issue, Trying the SEO tool doesn't do anything either.
Karl Ottenstein
Same picture/PDF as before and too many words for me to study this for free. Can you just show a sketch/picture of the final result that you are trying to accomplish (views that show all of building) - or did accomplish with your workaround?