BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

how to rotate the view window to align plans

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, i'm transferring from microstaiton to archicad 11, i'm looking to rotate the view window so i don't have to draw at an angles all the time? Is this possible?
5 REPLIES 5
Rod Jurich
Contributor
kanej wrote:
Hi, i'm transferring from microstaiton to archicad 11, i'm looking to rotate the view window so i don't have to draw at an angles all the time? Is this possible?
No, unfortunately.
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Thomas Holm
Booster
I transferred full-ttime from Microstation 10 years ago. I know what you want. This is one of the few drawbacks with ARchicad - you cannot rotate the floorplan view. However, I've found that with the rotatable grids, the current flexible guideline system etc, I no longer miss it like I used to.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the info, there had to be a drawback somewhere - grids and guides here we come
Karl Ottenstein
Just to be sure that we understand why you want to rotate your view...

Does your building have some wings / elements that are not horizontal / vertical to the screen? Or, in Microstation, did you rotate your building so that project north was directly at the top of the screen, and so all walls are non-orthogonal to the screen?

If the latter, it is worth taking the time to rotate the entire model in order to get the majority of walls orthagonal.

If the former - then, yes, the rotated grid is one method in AC. The other is to get acquainted with using the Tracker and the Guidelines. Hovering over an angled element 'picks up' the angle for subsequent guidelines, whether parallel/inline or perpendicular...

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Thomas Holm
Booster
Karl wrote:
JIf the former - then, yes, the rotated grid is one method in AC. The other is to get acquainted with using the Tracker and the Guidelines. Hovering over an angled element 'picks up' the angle for subsequent guidelines, whether parallel/inline or perpendicular...
Karl, when I was using Microstation 10 years ago (on the Mac ) the program allowed up to 8 simultaneous open windows. Any window could be whatever you wanted -floor plans (with different layer combos) sections in any orientation, with different visible depth, rendered views, whatever, and you could rotate any view however you wanted it in 3D space -you could have a slightly sloping floor plan cut if you would have the need! And there was this extremely handy tool - I could pick it, click on any line or edge, and the view in the window I clicked in would immediately rotate to make that line horizontal in the view.

I'm not sorry I switched to Archicad, but there are still things I'd like to have from Microstation!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Learn and get certified!