Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

how to turn off glass transparency in sections/elevations

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can anyone tell me how to turn off glass transparency in sections/elevations ? ......... cant find the settings ...... but I assume it can be done
20 REPLIES 20
It's the 'Transparency in Shading' option of the 3D Window Settings.
James Murray

Archicad 27 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Anonymous
Not applicable
I know that this was discussed previously but I haven’t found any posts later than 2004, so can somebody explain me this.
It seems to me that the 3D Window Settings are saved with Section Views. I am obviously concerned with ‘Transparency in Shading’ since this affects whether the glass surfaces are transparent in sections/elevations or not… but I cannot change these settings since the 3D Only options are dimmed for Section Views? ‘Get Current Window’s Settings’ doesn’t work neither. So the only way would be to save the Section Views again and replace the existing ones with new ones. Is there a better way of doing this?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Sections/Elevations use the 3D Window settings since they are a special kind of 3D.
If you save a Section View, the 3D Window settings (including Transparency) will be saved with the View.
You can activate a Section View, redefine 3D Window Settings and resave the View.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry Laszlo, I’m probably asking stupid questions but can you explain how do you resave the View? I can ‘Save Current View' as a new View, then go to Layout Book select the relevant section and ‘Link Drawing to…’ new View. Is that what you mean?
Anonymous
Not applicable
ArchiCAD does not allow me to overwrite an existing View as far as I know.
...or am I wrong?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
In Archicad 9 you could not do it, but in Archicad 10 you can.
In Archicad 10:
1. Modify the 3D Window settings to your liking.
2. In the Navigator, switch to the View Map, select the saved View and click the Settings button.
3. In the Dialog click the Get Current Window's Settings button at the top.
4. Click OK to save the modifications.
Anonymous
Not applicable
No... I tried this but it doesn't work with me for some reasons... Are you sure it should work with Sections/Elevations Views as well?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hm, this is getting strange.
I looked into this a bit.
Here is what I found (see attached image):

The lower left portion of the image shows part of the Section View (No.3) in which one can see that that Window is transparent in Section because the mullions of the Window behind it can be seen.

No 2. in the image shows 2 Views saved from the same Section.
The upper one was automatically created when the Section Line was drawn.
In the settings of this View, transparency is set to ON in 3D.
I opened this Section View (by double-click).
Then I changed Transparency to OFF in 3D Window Settings.
Then I opened the settings of this Section View (E-03 South Elevation).
I clicked the Get Current Window's Settings (No. 1 on image).
In the 3D only panel of the Dialog, the Redefine Image Settings with Current checkbox becomes checked (although it is greyed). That it gets checked would cause me to think it will store the change. However, when I OK the Dialog and regenerate the View from the Model, nothing changes.
So maybe the greyed status of the whole panel means that for Section/Elevation Views that are created by the placement of the Section Line, these settings cannot be changed. I don't know why.

So it looks like you are right: it is not possible to change its 3D settings.

What I did to work around this is the following:
1. Double clicked the E-03 South Elevation to open its Section View.
2. Modify the transparency setting in the 3D Window Settings Dialog to OFF.
3. Save a new View with the name E-03 South Elevation-2.

Now, here comes another strange thing: this newly created View cannot be dragged under the Section/Elevation Views, so although it is a View of a Section, it cannor be categorized under the Section Views group (see lower No. 2 in the attached image).

Maybe this is because only those Views are placed in the Section/Elevation group in the View Map that are generated automatically by Archicad when you place a new Section/Elevation on the Floor Plan.

So this is not very clear for me why it works this way but it seems that is the way it works.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Exactly! What you’ve described here is 100% identical to my experience. The inability to place the newly created Section View into the existing Sections/Elevations folder is, of course, a separate issue. I’ve noticed that even earlier. And not only that! If you try to delete one of those automatically generated Section/Elevation Views ArchiCAD will without any notice delete the whole folder! Try that out!

May well be dangerous if you’re not cautious while working on a project with large number of sections/elevations.