Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

how to turn off glass transparency in sections/elevations

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can anyone tell me how to turn off glass transparency in sections/elevations ? ......... cant find the settings ...... but I assume it can be done
20 REPLIES 20
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, something is definitely not 100% around here.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
I notice that you are working with a cloned folder. That is why you cannot add views and also why deleting one deletes the whole thing (i guess this is supposed to be a feature). This is one of the reasons I never use clones. I suspect it is also why you cannot change the settings of the individual view. Perhaps it is possible for the whole folder (but better yet, just don't use clones).
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
There is a bug where AC cannot update a view to change the transparency settings. At this time, the entire view must be recreated. This bug has been around for a while and it's hard to believe GS hasn't fixed it, after the amount of people who have experienced it here on ArchiCAD-Talk, and out in the real world.

The issue of cloned folders is an outstanding one. It's fundamentally quite useless to clone from the project map (as opposed to the view map and publisher set). Hopefully we can collectively change GS's approach to these.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
Sections/Elevations use the 3D Window settings....If you save a Section View, the 3D Window settings (including Transparency) will be saved with the View...
They do & they don't
See attached image

The vector hatching is controlled by the Section settings NOT by the 3D window settings

This is a bit of a muddle which needs sorting

I note there has been some discussion about how model effects should be saved in a section - see topic

Should transparency and other 3D model effects be saved with the Section?

Or should they be saved with the view, allowing one section to have multiple representations, like model views allow multiple representations of floorplans?

I'm unsure. But at the moment its just confusing!
sectiondialog3.JPG
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have finally discovered how to control the transparency of the Views placed in Layout Book. Transparency is in no way connected with View Settings! … nor with Section Settings. It depends on the current status of the ‘Transparency in Shading’. After you’ve placed a View on the layout adjust the ‘Transparency in Shading’ in ‘3D Window Settings’ to the desired value and then update the View. Far from ideal because You would probably need to adjust the Update Type to Manual if you wish to have different Views with different values for transparency but that’s the way it works.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Of course.
I thought you knew that.
Just as the Transparency in Shading field of the 3D Windows Settings Dialog controls transparency in Section/Elevation Views, so it is the one taken into account when saving Views.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
laszlonagy wrote:
Of course.
I thought you knew that.
Me too. Well, it is related to views, it's just that there's a bug which currently prevents their redefining to include transparency.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Me too.
I knew that the transparency in sections is controlled with ‘Transparency in Shading’ field of 3D Window Settings. What I didn’t know is that it’s in no way saved with Section View as it turned out.
Just as the Transparency in Shading field of the 3D Windows Settings Dialog controls transparency in Section/Elevation Views, so it is the one taken into account when saving Views.
It’s not taken into account when saving Section Views.
You can turn on and off transparency for the Section View after you have placed it on the layout without even opening it. That’s what I was trying to say.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Akos wrote:
Me too.
I knew that the transparency in sections is controlled with ‘Transparency in Shading’ field of 3D Window Settings. What I didn’t know is that it’s in no way saved with Section View as it turned out.
It’s not taken into account when saving Section Views.
You can turn on and off transparency for the Section View after you have placed it on the layout without even opening it. That’s what I was trying to say.
I looked at this thing again and it seems like that after you place a Drawing on a Layout the source of which is a Viewpoint or a View, you can change the Transparency in Shading to OFF, and the Drawing will correctly update, but then as soon as you did this, there is no way that you switch it to ON and the Drawing update correctly.
Definitely something not OK here.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Laszlo, thanks a lot for all your time and effort...