Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

jpg texture for open gl & fill for exterior elevations?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good Morning, and straight to the?
What's the best way to create a 2d fill pattern to show on walls, etc. in the
section elevation?
Looked in the surfaces dialog and my textures for the walls are already assigned jpg's.
for my ledger stone veneer and stucco walls and they look great in open gl. However, am having trouble figuring out how to assign a fill pattern to them so they will also show a 2d line representation in the section / elevation views.
Took a look through the fill patterns and did not find one that will work
for the ledger stone, so will need to create my own. I have the ledger stone drawn on another job that I did about a year ago, but before I start
trying to figure how to do it I thought I would pose the question here first.

Regards, Jon

P.S. In the wall settings dialog I can't find anywhere to assign
a fill pattern to the surface other than the surfaces which already have a jpg. specified.

rear for ac talk.jpg
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
What I do is copy the desired material and in the copy apply my desired fill pattern. This is quick for straight color items, way more complicated for textural items. Mostly I am doing brick, shingles or other simple geometries and this has worked well for me. I have saved these to an office library so that I have soldier courses, stone ledges, etc for future projects.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jonathan

You can create a fill pattern by drawing with lines at an appropriate scale, copy the lines, then paste into a new symbol fill. You assign this fill to a material in the Vectorial Hatching section of the material's settings when in the Internal Engine options. (You do not assign the fill to the wall itself).
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just created this ledgestone drawing with 2d lines (see image below).
In the 3d window settings I swithed from open gl to internal engine and then opened the surfaces (materials) dialog box. The jpg that I assigned to the ledgerstone is there.
How do I get the 2d line work to be added as a fill that I can assign to a
surface?

I forget how to add a custom fill. Will read up:-)

s2art wrote:
Jonathan

You can create a fill pattern by drawing with lines at an appropriate scale, copy the lines, then paste into a new symbol fill. You assign this fill to a material in the Vectorial Hatching section of the material's settings when in the Internal Engine options. (You do not assign the fill to the wall itself).
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jonathan wrote:
surface?
Select the fill pattern in Material Settings dialogue, as shown below.

A tip when you create your fill pattern. Make sure your pattern is seemless when it repeats by having some of the stones continuing thru' across the edge. You might also have too many lines too close together for a good result.
Screen shot material settings.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
I was able to add the symbol fill and adjust so it looks good enough, however when I go to materials and go to select it only solid and vector fills show up. No symbol fills.
It's there in the fill types dialog but not available in the surfaces???

s2art wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
surface?
Select the fill pattern in Material Settings dialogue, as shown below.

A tip when you create your fill pattern. Make sure your pattern is seemless when it repeats by having some of the stones continuing thru' across the edge. You might also have too many lines too close together for a good result.
Anonymous
Not applicable
It doesn't show up in the surfaces dialog / vectorial hatching button??
Anonymous
Not applicable
I got it!!!
Had to select the cover fill radio button in fill types.

Thank you very much!!!!

Now I can send the elevations to the client. Yahoo!!!!!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Check the Cover Fills box in your Fill Type settings
Anonymous
Not applicable
frustrating sometimes.
Thanks guys!

My pattern doesn't line up very well, but it's there and it works. Can go back and work on it when I have time:-)

Thanks again, finally am going with linked elevations with no 2d.