Due to a scheduled maintenance, a maximum 20 minutes license delivery outage may be expected on July 6 2024 (Saturday) between 6PM to 8PM (CEST).
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

morph or slab with seo

Llian
Advocate
I want to do a custom arch wall opening;
1. can a morph be shaped to a specified radius and cut into the wall?
2. any good video out there to show the SEO

thanks
Lilian Seow
LEED AP | cSBA | CAPM | PMP
Interior-Architecture and BIM Management
AC20 USA | 27- macOS 10.14.6| 4 GHz Intel Core i7| 32 GB RAM | Archicad-user since 1994!
17 REPLIES 17
Llian
Advocate
Barry wrote:
Follow the cursor co-ordinates back to 0,0.

You will be best to reset the user origin to the default project origin (just in case you have a user origin set as this will register as 0,0 co-ords as well - so you need to remove it).

Barry.
Yes, I did use that to set at the corner of the slab ...and save as the library part in 3D plan view and still not showing up in the project...but it shows when I drew on a new PLN but not on the Teamwork project pln.
Lilian Seow
AC20 USA | 27- macOS 10.14.6| 4 GHz Intel Core i7| 32 GB RAM | Archicad-user since 1994!
Barry Kelly
Sorry I have never used teamwork so won't be of much help here.

So you are saving the slab as an object and not a door or window?
If so I assume you can see your other objects in 3D (then it is not a 3D filter setting).
Is you 3D view using a different renovation filter maybe?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Llian
Advocate
I have checked the renovation filter and it is NEW. I have done this before where I created a custom arch opening on a wall. I remember drawing the shape with the fill and then used the slab tool to create the shape into an object. I can't remember if I had to save it as an object. But I remember create a thicker slab than the wall and use the SEO to 'cut the opening' on the wall. I place the slab where the wall and adjusted the height of the slab on elevation....I am trying to find the video online that shows how to create a custom opening on the wall using SEO... still looking!
Lilian Seow
Barry Kelly
Try a renno filter that 'Shows All'

There is no need for saving as an object and the SEO.

Save as a door or window with ID = WALLHOLE.
Then place as door or window in your wall.
See image.

I am not sure about a video for SEO (check the YouTube channel in the HELP menu.
But if you create a slab for the SEO you will have to stand it up so will need to save as an object and then add ROTATE commands in the script.
Or convert to Morph and rotate it in 3D.
Then overlap the object/morph with the wall > SEO > subtract.

Barry.
custom_window.jpg
Versions 6.5 to 27
Llian
Advocate
O My Goodness., Barry! Thank you so much. Is it that simple! I was just going into the Profile Manager and that was what I did before....but your method of saving this customize arch as a door opening just work on the wall! is this something new?
Lilian Seow
Llian
Advocate
here is the image!
Lilian Seow
Barry Kelly
Nothing new.
It has been around for ages.
The WALLHOLE ID trick came in back at version 12 or 14 maybe.
Before that we had to edit the script manually.

Now if you need to you can add frames and glass.
Model exactly as you want them to be and set the correct building materials for them.
The bottom of your frame slab at zero 'z' height will be the front of the frame in the wall.
Everything above zero will be the depth of the frame.
Model below zero if you want something to stick out in front.

Just re-save as the same object if you need to amend anything.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
If it was just a simple arch you could have used one of the standard arch shapes in the door tool... but at least you learned something new
Arch.JPG