Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

"Elevation dimensions" on plans?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
I was trying to make dimensions showing height of certain points on my floor plan. But I didn't manage to get anything reasonable.
Suppose I have a wall of height 4000 and base level of 0. How can I make level dimension of top or bottom of this wall?
Or I have a roof of some not rectangular shape. How can I check what is height of this roof in certain point measuring it (not making additional geometrical construction) in 2D plan window? And how to show this dimension on plan, associated with this roof if possible to be updated automatically when roof angle changes?

Can somebody point mi right way to do this?

Krzysztof Meldner
17 REPLIES 17
For roofs, and slabs and meshes, you can use Level Dimensions. Place them with gravity set to the element type. The dimension will update if you edit or elevate the elements.

This won't work for walls, they can't be detected by gravity. Here is a thread about using labels to read elevations. Geoff Briggs posted a wall elevation label that works.
James Murray

Archicad 27 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Andy Thomson
Advisor
Anyone know how to get these levels to read from reference levels? You can set the button to reference levels, but it still only dimensions to project zero.

Please don't suggest I must drop the project zero to sea level...

A
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Petros Ioannou
Booster
andyro wrote:

A
No , but you can drop your reference level to sea level

Petros
ArchiCAD 22 4023 UKI FULL,
Archicad 21 6013 UKI FULL, ArchiCAD 20 8005 UKI FULL
iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
__archiben
Booster
Petros wrote:
andyro wrote:
No , but you can drop your reference level to sea level
exactly - you offset the reference level by setting it to a negative value . . .

it's exactly what i was talking about in this thread earlier today, (and by a completely strange co-incidence my boss asked me to explain it whilst i was half way through typing that post out as well).

reference levels are popular today . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Andy Thomson
Advisor
Yes, I know how to do this for sections, elevations. But if I build an accurate mesh say, for landscaping, and want to show grading tags, when I place the level markers - in plan views I am talking about - even if I have reference level of -72.8m for sea level - the plan level marker, with gravity set to mesh, references to project zero, even though the little arrow menu is set to reference level....

Any ideas?
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
__archiben
Booster
andyro wrote:
Yes, I know how to do this for sections, elevations. But if I build an accurate mesh say, for landscaping, and want to show grading tags, when I place the level markers - in plan views I am talking about - even if I have reference level of -72.8m for sea level - the plan level marker, with gravity set to mesh, references to project zero, even though the little arrow menu is set to reference level....

Any ideas?
ah - you've found one of the (many) archiCAD inconsistencies between tools: the 'level dimension' tool cannot be set to reference from one of the reference levels. the "little arrow" you're talking about is the one in the co-ordinates palette i take it? which has no bearing on the tool whatsoever.

probably more a fault of the way gravity works with the tools, but still frustratingly impossible.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
Along the same lines,
Is there an object or ....... to get the elevation on the bottom of slab?
Very useful for ceiling level elevation on plans.
Thanks,
Joseph
Anonymous
Not applicable
Joseph,
See James Murray's earlier post on this thread and go to the
thread he suggests.
Also, someone a while back suggested using roofs as floors
so that a roof label that read the underside
elevation of the roof could be used to display ceiling height.
Peter Devlin
Petros Ioannou
Booster
You can place the level dimension on the mesh using the gravity and then select the dimension text and open its preferences. Inside the dimension text preferences you will find an autotext option where you can set the value to 1st or 2nd reference level. It will change automaticaly.
If you select one level dimension text and press CTR+A all of them will be selected and then you can ask for all of them to change to the reference level.
Petros
ArchiCAD 22 4023 UKI FULL,
Archicad 21 6013 UKI FULL, ArchiCAD 20 8005 UKI FULL
iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB