Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

"Gong" No Show

rengarch
Participant
Where did the "gong" go? I use to get a gong chime when I eye dropped and syringed. Can you turn it back on or is it gone?
Rita MF Eng, AIA
iMac 27" 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096MB
MAC OSX 10.11.6
Archicad 20
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options > Work Environment > More Options > Enable ArchiCAD Sound

That is in the new standard menus anyway. It is off by default so as not to disturb the neighbors.
TomWaltz
Participant
Wow... someone wanted that?

I feel like I've just seen the Lochness Monster.... something purported to exist that no one could ever imagine! I thought GS's top request was to turn the sounds off 😉
Tom Waltz
Dwight
Newcomer
And this wish was a case where a literal wish granting was NOT to our benefit.

Certainly, for Graphisoft to make a switch to simply turn the sounds off was easier than most other sound-using applications where you get a choice of available sound files and can set their individual volumes.

While I DON'T miss ArchiCAD's awful sounds, I DO miss being able to use sound as an additional clue to computer function.

At least, when you got the horns, as loud as they were, you knew that you were on target for your sip and puff.

In my case, as you can imagine from a guy with no outside life, my system is on all the time and playing an amazing array of sound and image files. Having ArchiCAD always play its noises at the system volume was disruptive....

So please bring the capability to control sound, not just eliminate it....
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
In windows xp you can go under control panel/sounds and edit the archicad sounds as much as you like. Download your favorite sounds and go...

Napolean Dynamite "Dang!" for example when you use the syringe.
(I have chosen sounds that are a bit more subdued but you could use Napolean if you wanted.)
Dwight
Newcomer
Can I do this on my vastly inferior mac? Or do I need to go subterranean?

Has anyone on mac edited their sounds?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
In case you need Napolean Dynamite sounds.
In .wav and .mp3. formats.

"Lucky!" is sound for rendering completed notification...

"Loch Ness Monster" is good for starting up windows...

http://www.moviewavs.com/Movies/Napoleon_Dynamite.html
rengarch
Participant
I found the switch, WORK ENVIRONMENT/USER PREFERENCE SCHEME/ MORE OPTIONS. Too bad you can't turn the volume down without turning the voiume of the whole computer.
I know it's annoying to others when you work in an office, but when you work alone (sad but true) who cares.
Rita MF Eng, AIA
iMac 27" 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096MB
MAC OSX 10.11.6
Archicad 20
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
Can I do this on my vastly inferior mac? Or do I need to go subterranean?

Has anyone on mac edited their sounds?
Dwight,

Windows has always been more flexible on this score than OSX. Earlier systems were much more adjustable. I remember people assigning all sorts of questionable noises to various events. There may be some hack, or utility or such for this but I haven't looked into it.

The System preferences (see attached) should at least allow you to adjust the alert volume relative to the overall system volume, but it seems that many software companies don't take advantage of this - GS unfortunately is one of them (the Apple stuff works of course). Would you care to add it to the wish list?
Sound Preferences.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
rengarch wrote:
I found the switch, WORK ENVIRONMENT/USER PREFERENCE SCHEME/ MORE OPTIONS. Too bad you can't turn the volume down without turning the voiume of the whole computer.
I know it's annoying to others when you work in an office, but when you work alone (sad but true) who cares.
This freebie seems to be working well for me and is much appreciated. It controls the sound level from individual applications as well as allowing you to choose from where they come.

Chances are there is an existing method of substituting sounds, somewhere.

www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/">