cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

two stupid questions !

Anonymous
Not applicable
First my sincere apologies if these questions border on the inane...its funny that you spend 4 days basic training and do the tutorials and they always seem to miss really obvious things when your a noob...

I create two identical slabs abutting each other and then create a wall that runs over the junction. The plan view shows the slab junction running through the wall. How do you either dot the line under the wall or get the line to stop and start on either side?

Secondly, am I correct in assuming that when I create a full height wall and, say a 300mm high wall next to it, both show up as cut and that I need to manually change the low height wall the show up as a top new?

This, of course is in AC10.

Robert
5 REPLIES 5
__archiben
Booster
RLC wrote:
I create two identical slabs abutting each other and then create a wall that runs over the junction. The plan view shows the slab junction running through the wall. How do you either dot the line under the wall or get the line to stop and start on either side?
you can use your display order. if you have a solid fill in the walls they can be brought 'forward' (graphically) from the slab. or vice versa. i tend to send all meshes 'to the back', slabs back one step before the mesh, etc . . .

the commands are found in the Edit>Display Order> menu . . .
Secondly, am I correct in assuming that when I create a full height wall and, say a 300mm high wall next to it, both show up as cut and that I need to manually change the low height wall the show up as a top new?
i didn't quite follow the last line of your question, but the wall display is dependent on a few settings:

- how it's floor plan display is defined as an individual element: projected, symbolic, cut, etc...
- where the floor plan cut plane is located
- how your model view options are set.

to answer your question simply, set the floor plan cut plane to (e.g.) 1100mm, select both the full height and 300mm high wall and in their settings change them to show on storey: 'Automatic' and floor plan display to 'Projected'. your two walls should now display differently depending on the cut plane height.

there are a lot of conditions where this half-arsed feature simply doesn't work, so use it with caution, and experiment to see what is and isn't possible. more experience will help you decide how and when to display your elements.

HTH
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
RLC wrote:
Ben has good advice. However, if you WANT to show a dotted line within the wall, I would just draw a plain old 2D dotted line.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Ben....

Your interpretation of my question on the walls is right.
I didn't understand why the Archicad default for dealing with differing wall heights and cutting planes isn't just the obvious one to begin with.

Same goes with the slab/wall plan view. You would think in 95% of cases of drawing a wall on a slab you would want to see the slab line hidden or dotted......

Robert
__archiben
Booster
Richard wrote:
However, if you WANT to show a dotted line within the wall, I would just draw a plain old 2D dotted line.
i have all my slabs show dashed anyway -

all of my ground slabs i place on the 'foundation' storey and 'show 1 storey up'. this way you get a dashed slab outline on the ground floor plan above.

depends what you actually want to achieve at the end of the day . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
__archiben
Booster
RLC wrote:
Same goes with the slab/wall plan view. You would think in 95% of cases of drawing a wall on a slab you would want to see the slab line hidden or dotted......
there's more on the default display order of elements at the archicad wiki here:

http://www.archicadwiki.com/Display_Order

it's quite a limited system. there have been several wishes here in the past for a more fluid and flexible 'infinite' display order system based on element elevation or distance from cut line . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t