Our Community
Ask questions about this community, the platform, and any technical questions.

Hot Topics - Languages

Lingwisyer
Guru

Hi forum manager/s,

Will there be / is there some way to hide posts that are in other languages under Hot Topics. I see that introductions to each of the new subs in the two new supported languages, and extrapolating from that can see Hot Topics becoming even less usable than it currently is once usage of the new subs takes off...

Also, the whole idea of merging but not merging different language forums seems a bit odd to me. Being a bit optimistic, might there be a way to "multilingual" a post? Maybe a way for generous multilingual people who find an answer to an issue that they have, to add a translation to the marked answer?

Does the forum Search function cover all languages or just the selected? Does it have an auto translation function? So say you search for one thing in Japanese, might it suggest an English thread since it had limited returns in Japanese?

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
5 REPLIES 5
Mjules
Mentor

At Graphisoft, the slogan is about "building together," as well as "seeing all the posts together" whatever the language.

Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
Asus | 64 GB RAM | Windows 11
Gordana Radonic
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Lingwisyer ,
Thank you for your message! 
Regarding the issue of seeing all content under Hot Topics , this should be corrected soon. You shouldn't see all messages mixed - we were already working on that, but thanks again for reporting that!
I really appreciate you shared your thoughts regarding multi-language support. It's a very complex topic, and it's a bit optimistic for all of us to wish for such multilingual posts. There are other reasons to build local communities (cultural differences, specific market workflows, managing the content etc.), but we are not excluding looking into possibilities to implement integrated automatic translation solutions. We surely won't be able to add all world languages, not even spoken majority, so benefits of functional built-in translators would be huge.
To answer your last part of the questions, so you cannot have search across all languages and automatic translation for all. At least not yet 🙂 @Karl Ottenstein shared some time ago his experience with using another platform with automatic translation, so I am really interested to hear more from you, as well!
Thank you for your interest and have a great day, 

Gordana

Gordana Radonić

Community Manager

Karl Ottenstein

I'd like to see a good solution to handling multilingual posts, but the search function seems to be a major stumbling block, Ling.   For example, in Facebook groups, people can post in whatever their native language is and FB will translate other posts for them, and their posts for others.  The accuracy varies greatly of course - and if people use local dialects or slang, it is pretty bad.

(For some languages, such as Finnish, I find the FB translator more accurate than Google Translate, which would be our only option here I think?)

But, searching would be so complicated without a proven 3rd party plug-in... and it is hard to imagine searching for something and the search phrase being repeated for every possible language on the Community.  Similarly tags.  Graphisoft has decided that tags are better than our old ac-talk where we had dozens of very specific forums.  But, then every tag would have to appear in every language?

It's an interesting and challenging problem.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Lingwisyer
Guru

Hence the suggestion of manual user / moderator translations to solved threads which would then be added to the search pool for that language. These would of course need to moderated and accepted, and also probably be limited to users that have contributed a decent amount in the past in that given language. Sort of like the post and answer limitations on StackExchange.

Regarding the tags, given that results in languages other than the selected would be less than ideal, only translating those with a given number of posts or solutions would most likely be enough.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 

@Lingwisyer wrote:

Regarding the tags, given that results in languages other than the selected would be less than ideal, only translating those with a given number of posts or solutions would most likely be enough.

Yes, and tags/label are pretty useless as is - just another layer of clutter. To work nicely they need to be predefined by GS/moderators.