BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Parametric design
About Rhino & Grasshopper and PARAM-O.

Export daylight results from Grasshopper back to ArchiCAD

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I'm doing a daylight analysis through Grasshopper from ArchiCAD drawings. I'd like to send back my results with the daylight grid but it seems not possible to export my daylight grid from grasshopper to ArchiCAD. Do you have any idea of how to deal with it?

Best,

Frank
15 REPLIES 15
furtonb
Advisor
I would just save an image from the results (assumed you meant the coloured mesh with the metrics), place it as a drawing, adjust the boundary/scale and call it a day.
odv.hu | actively using: AC25-27 INT | Rhino6-8 | macOS @ apple silicon / win10 x64
Joe Putnam
Booster
I often bake the color gradient directly to the mesh this way it can be saved and reused to create new images or rendered in any render engine if exported out of rhino. I have not tried to send that to Archicad but it may work. If you need the values for anything I suppose just dumping to excel is useful for that or a custom GDL object and you could transfer that to Archicad via grasshopper.
Anonymous
Not applicable
U may export gradient color morph to AC if u could
furtonb
Advisor
AFAIK gradients won't import.

The reason would be import as an image, is not to mess up your attributes, as each Rhino colour is going to be imported as a separate "Surface" - so if you bake a coloured mesh from the analysis result, you will be fine, you will have your analysis mesh in ARCHICAD. If you are doing a fine analysis, it is going to be dozens, which I would rather not pollute my file with. The import won't change your linetypes to the respected colours, so you either create
- a 3D document to clean up from the boundary lines (both 2D and 3D analysis)
- openGL view (both 2D and 3D)
- import the result as an image, scale it to fit your floor plans (2D only).

The benefits of creating a 3D document is the vector quality over a raster image, which could be easily overcome via saving a larger image. To achieve that, you can use the "ViewCaptureToFile" instead of "ScreenCaptureToFile" command in Rhino. You can set up a decent resolution and no one will notice a drop in quality in your drawings. To see the results in BIMx/openGL, just create a Surface with your image.
odv.hu | actively using: AC25-27 INT | Rhino6-8 | macOS @ apple silicon / win10 x64
Nader Belal
Mentor
To all,

Exporting gradiants color from Rhino to ArchiCAD is problematic, and you can observe this fact by making the comparison that while Rhino/GH mesh do have 3 points/colors gradiants (the norm), ArchiCAD can only accept 2 (proof: check your ArchiCAD Reference manual about gradiant fills and GDL Reference manual)

So to bypass this problem you can proceed in one of the 2 solutions I'll mention:
1- Pixelate the result, make regions in Grasshopper that include a range of a result, each region have a solid color (Pro: easy to implement, and easy to keep it updated).
2- Export solution as an image. (Pro: easy to implement, & less demanding on your computer resources. Con: manual updating/i]).
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,

Thanks for your answer. I think that just exporting as an image works well. So at the end that how i'm doing it. But I'm interesting about the 1st bullet point you explain Moonlight. Could you describe a bit more the process to pixelate the results and make regions in grasshopper? I'm not sure to understand how to do it.

Best,

Frank
Nader Belal
Mentor
Actually there two ways to do this depending on the geometry that you try to apply for:

1- If the the model was a mesh (Rhino's geometric entity & not AC terrain MESH), you will not need to divide the surface since that the mesh is formed by a number of planes (i.e: already divided) do you assign a point of reference for your desired calculation, and use the result to represent the whole individual plane.

2- If the model is a surface (for example a Nurbs Surface), you will divide it into a number of mini-surfaces, and then again you will assign a desired point of reference for each plane and consider the calculation result at this point as true for that plane.

TL;DR
1- Easier to do than to explain.
2- Send me an example file of what you're trying to do, and I will send back the GH definition.
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Moonlight,

Thanks for your reply. I'll send to you a GH definition for what I'm trying to do in few days. I'm working on other projects right now but I really appreciate your help.

Best,

Frank
Nader Belal
Mentor
Just send an example
Learn and get certified!