BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Parametric design
About Rhino & Grasshopper and PARAM-O.

Rhino/Grasshopper-ARCHICAD BIDIRECTIONAL Connection Add-On

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
There is a Rhino/Grasshopper-ARCHICAD Bidirectional "real-time" Connection Add-On coming:

http://www.shoegnome.com/2015/09/15/rhino-grasshopper-archicad-connection-public-beta/

http://www.graphisoft.com/archicad/rhino-grasshopper/
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
37 REPLIES 37
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
daviddelven wrote:
Ok.
Thank you Laszlo.
I meant only about the old-fashioned interface.
Keep in touch,
David
Yes, that interface could stand a facelift.
I will forward this to GRAPHISOFT.
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is now almost 2 years later, but I want to emphasize how important it is for Graphisoft to develop these features that leceta mentions. They are essential in order for the GH-AC connection to become as useful as Dynamo is for Revit!!
leceta wrote:
"in a few years time" that its sound to me a recognition to be one step beyond de competition.

Grasshopper is very powerful, and nowadays much capable than Dynamo with wider and better quality plugins than dynamo. Is, without doubt, the more mature and widely used graphical algorithmic tool in the industry of AEC and its academic side.

I think in Kangaroo, Galapagos, human UI, Honeybee and Ladybug are basic design tools for so much design studios and engineers, or researchers. Grasshopper and rhino also have been the last years a well beloved enviroment platform for a plethora of PHDs related with geometrical problems, mostly because the open nature of mcneel, his apis exposed in .net, c# and python, much accesibles for designers than c++, etc

Ironically, there are, nowadays a plethora of connection tools between revit and Gh (hummingbird, rhynamo,Lyrebird, nudibranch...) and they are capable of do pretty much the same things that GH-ACH connection tool is capable of.

Now, we have to take into account, that those connection tools were developed, in some cases, by people working in their spare time, or at least without receiving a payment for that job. Instead, Graphisoft, i assume, have people working in that connection tool project, so would spect something different from those kind of connections between GH and REVIT, i mean, something different, a more intimate connection between two systems, exactly what Dynamo has achieved with Revit.

We need to be able to create and manage attributes from GH, to have full control of GDL objects (arrays missing) from GH, to access to schedule information from GH, or still much better, be able to generate them directly in Grasshopper, what it would be a super powerful scheduling system, with all the capabilities of managing data via scripts, etc..

We also need to have access to ACH attributes (layers, stories, pensets, surfaces, etc..) via list, choosing and managing all together, but instead the current implementation consider only the possibility to choose them one by one, that is super anti-grasshopperistic. "grasshopperistic" is a important concept i have heard to Andrew Heumman, a super talented designer and grasshopper tool developer, author of Human and Human UI. Its not an easy concept to explain, you need to be a grasshopper user for this, but hey, in grasshopper, you shouldnt open a super long list of element to just pick one of them. I should have the possibilitie to choose all of them at once. For what? i dont know, but that is the way of tooling, of hacking, i need possibilities to then be creative with those possibilities.

I have been both Archicad and GH for years, for me the the connection between the two programs was one of the most exciting things in AEC software panorama of last years, the expectation, i admit, was hi, but now i´am living it like a bluff. The feeling is like, uff, they are not getting the point...

In my opinion, it is very important that graphisoft need to understand well the benefits of computational design is bringing to us designers.

I guess, its no so much in the designing and geometry generation part of the problem, but in the ability of creating and managing data computationally. And I say Data, i mean not only the schedule values of a project, "data creation and management" should be also aplicable to Attributes, Layers, Stories, project information, views, layouts, autotexts, etc, etc, etc... then, we will be talking about real computation design, with real tooling capabilities. "Tooling" is other super important concept to me to take into account.

Dont missunderstand my words, i would like to be constructive and no be merely critic. Archicad is the bim software i know the best, is my working tool for every day and i love it. But, we have to admint, there is still so much work to do with this GH connection thing... And we are late already...

please, neither consider my as an arrogant, i respect the work of graphisoft. Just hope that all this disordered ideas could serve for something to the Connection Tool developers.

saludos
leceta
Anonymous
Not applicable
I could not agree more. I have been using grasshopper for more than 6 years now, and ArchiCAD connection is a welcomed addition. However it feels that a lot of stuff is still missing in order to make it useable for production.
Just my 2 cents regarding the future of the GH-AC connection.
I think they lost one of the "engines" since Jakob Andreassen, former BIM Manager at big.dk no longer works there. They will continue to develop the connection but without a direct feedback from a major architectural company, especially one that uses GH on daily basis, it will run idle, not full throttle.
I haven't seen any new testimonials recently from mainstream architectural companies.
I see the ByDesign series and no offense, it's great from a marketing viewpoint, but none of the companies presented there are using the GH-AC connection.
Hoping to be proven wrong, in fact, I'm shooting in the dark (not sure if it's the right place to do it, but anyway).
arch. ernest atanasiu
AC 10-26 INT/GER/FR on Win 10/ Win 11
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
uisanata wrote:
I think they lost one of the "engines" since Jakob Andreassen, former BIM Manager at big.dk no longer works there. They will continue to develop the connection but without a direct feedback from a major architectural company, especially one that uses GH on daily basis, it will run idle, not full throttle.
I haven't seen any new testimonials recently from mainstream architectural companies.
I see the ByDesign series and no offense, it's great from a marketing viewpoint, but none of the companies presented there are using the GH-AC connection.
Hoping to be proven wrong, in fact, I'm shooting in the dark (not sure if it's the right place to do it, but anyway).
We're a 200+ people company with a very dedicated AC+GH group talking regularly with GS on this topic. While BIG have design as a focus we have BIM as a focus and with the upcoming release of the GH+AC connection we will start a very interesting journey with the improved deconstruct
possibilities. We investigate space planning, sustainable analysis in every way, control and management of data etc.
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
uisanata wrote:

My personal opinion:
I don't think that just because one architectural company/person the development of a very important area will be put on the backburner. I think GRAPHISOFT is fully aware of the importance of this connection and they will keep developing it.
LaszloNagy wrote:
uisanata wrote:

My personal opinion:
I don't think that just because one architectural company/person the development of a very important area will be put on the backburner. I think GRAPHISOFT is fully aware of the importance of this connection and they will keep developing it.
That's what I hope.
arch. ernest atanasiu
AC 10-26 INT/GER/FR on Win 10/ Win 11
daviiiiidave
Advocate
The AC-GH connection is the best thing GS did in the past years. im glad they dont waste time to devolop something new. GH is so powerful. When i watch our students what the do with it i cant just image what the next generations of architects will do with it. It starts with controlling robots and ends with anslysis of everything important for architects. we even 3D print with gh scripts. if they just keep focusin on the connection and the improvement it will be amazing in the future. the very best thing about the connection is the nondestructive and bidirectional workflow. we can design offices buildings with endless room combinations. we can design facades with endless possibilties of design. we can design skyscrappers with getting all needed plans in kinda one way. once we made a good ac template its like getting more time to design the architecture. we can grap data from all over the web and get it placed in to plans. we can easily make sun or structural analysis. we can even let GH creat building with out designing anything. just from math and logics (scary i know, investors will love it).
we can place interior with out placing every single furniture part byitself. and there are endless possibilities. watch enzyme apd what they are doing with it and you will just see what the connection brings with it. Its just amazing. Wasting time to develop marionetta or dynamo is just globaly inefficient. maybe they can do in the future similar things but if they had put the efford into GH it would become faster one of the most amazing tools for architects.

ARCHICAD 19-25, Student & Full Archicard, CI Tools, Germany
Mifcom Renderbox AMD Ryzen 9 5900X GeForce RTX 3070 TI 32GB RAM 980 PRO SSD Win10
Thinkpad P52 4K i7 8850H NVIDIA Quadro P3200 (6 GB) 32 GB RAM SSD Win10 Pro

Learn and get certified!