Parametric design
About Rhino & Grasshopper and PARAM-O.

grasshopper not running

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone,

When I first installed and immediately tried GH-connection 2.0 for AC5021 it worked fine. It was several weeks ago and I didn't use it until today.
Now when I try to start GH-connection it says <grasshopper not running>.

I have already tried:
- restarting windows
- reinstalling GH-connection
- reinstalling AC and the latest update
- disabled antivirus
- played with windows firewall
- removed all other GH plugins

Nothing works... 😞
Did anyone have this problem before?

Win 10
AC21 5021
Rhino5 SR12
GH 0.9.0076
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable
I found the problem.
GH-connection is somehow incompatible with GeometryGym plugin.
Both GeometryGym and GH-connectionalso have Newtonsoft.Json.dll that causes the problem. It was tricky to figure out since GeometryGym's files aren't located in default Grasshopper's library folder.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I will report this to GRAPHISOFT so they can investigate and hopefully come up with a solution.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello archimax,

Wow, thank you very much for finding the source! This is actually a problem we are familiar with, but it is really hard to detect.

We use a version of the Newtonsoft.json.dll in our Add-on. In case there's another add-on installed that uses an earlier version of this tool, Grasshopper may just load that version, but since it is not compatible with our add-on, it can fail. This can result in a connection issue (like now), it can cause our Add-on to not even load into Grasshopper, or it can even crash Grasshopper/Rhino.

So far we know about 2 add-ons that clash with our's because of this: Leafcutter, and now GeometryGym. Our developers know about this issue, but since it is not a bug in our software, we are not sure how we could avoid crashes like this. Please also contact the developers of GeometryGym, and let them know about this issue, so they might upgrade their tools.

Until we find a solution, the only workaround is to not have those other Add-ons installed on the same computer.

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for this. I'm running into the same problems of "Grasshopper not running" when in fact it is.

I'm using the 6000 release of AC21 on macOS plus Rhino version 5.4.1 (on macOS)

We are also running AC21 under Windows 10 and have Rhino 6 - this is because previous versions of Rhino are unable to deal with high resolution displays like the 5K iMac Pros we use for running macOS and Windows apps using Bootcamp. Rhino 5 and grasshopper running under Windows 10 create huge amounts of eye strain because they don't handle text rendering or the UI at all well on higher res displays....

Hope that Graphisoft is able to keep pace with the changes that Rhino has made for Windows 10 environments in its Rhino 6 release.

Phil Allsopp

iMac Pro
64GB RAM
8-Core i7
2T solid state disk (1TB Windows 10, 1TB macOS)
AC21
Rhino
Grasshopper
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear Phil Allsopp,

In your case it is not because of a conflict of add-ons, that Grasshopper won't connect to ARCHICAD. Our latest released version of the Grasshopper Connection Add-on is 5011.0 which is compatible with ARCHICAD 5021. The ARCHICAD 21 6000 update is a preview version, and it is not compatible with the 5011.0 plug-in. We will release a newer version of the plug-in in several weeks, when the final version of the 60xx update will be released. If you roll back to the previous update, it should work fine.

Also, on Windows we are still working on compatibility with Rhino 6, so it is not officially supported yet. So far it seems though (based on feedback from users), that if you had installed the Add-on for Rhino 5 previously, it should work with Rhino 6 as well.

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

GRAPHISOFT

hpenbeoglu
Booster
dkovacs wrote:

We use a version of the Newtonsoft.json.dll in our Add-on. In case there's another add-on installed that uses an earlier version of this tool, Grasshopper may just load that version, but since it is not compatible with our add-on, it can fail. This can result in a connection issue (like now), it can cause our Add-on to not even load into Grasshopper, or it can even crash Grasshopper/Rhino.

So far we know about 2 add-ons that clash with our's because of this: Leafcutter, and now GeometryGym.
Also TT Toolbox has the same .dll / Read Here, Search for File & Remove Plugin
http://www.food4rhino.com/app/tt-toolbox
BIM Manager, Architect in the UK | AC11-AC27

Macbook Pro 16" 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 - 32 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD | MacOS 13.3.1 (a)
leceta
Expert
I'm currently using both Geometry Gym and Archicad 21 connection plugin without problems, but I have experienced problems in the past, may be regarded to this issue of json\newtonsoft.dll.
In my case, grasshopper was crashing miserably when launched. This was directly related to ACH-GH gha assembly file since it stopped to happen if I deleted it from Grasshopper component library folder. If I put it back again, the crashes restarted to happen.

After weeks unable to find a solution, I drastically ended up formatting the primary HDD.
mikas
Expert
Latest AC21 (FIN/INT) MacOS. Latest Grasshopper connection add-on.
Connection tool does not start, says: "Grasshopper not running", though it IS running right now.

There are no dll's on Mac. I think I have not installed any plugins ever, and I don't even know from where the plug-ins should be found.

How can I possibly try to resolve this? And please, without formatting my drive and installing everything from start?
AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.6.5 • HP Z4/Xeon W-2195/256GB/RX6800XT/W10ProWS
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello mikas,

The first thing you should check is whether you see the ARCHICAD tools in Grasshopper. Sometimes the problem is that the installation wasn't successful on grasshopper, and the ARCHICAD tab is even missing from it.

If that is fine, make sure that in the ARCHICAD version you are using (FIN or INT) you have the proper Add-on installed (maybe the Add-on in ARCHICAD is still 5011, and the one in Grasshopper is 6002). You can see the Add-on version in the Add-on manager. Maybe you are trying with the FIN version, and the tool was only installed to the INT version?

It is also worth trying to delete all Grasshopper Connection tool files completely and reinstall everything. See my message in this thread about how to do that.

If everything is installed properly, and everything looks fine, as a last option you should start the connection in ARCHICAD, and then in grasshopper choose 'File>Connect Document to ARCHICAD...', and see if you can make the connection there.

Let me know if the above helped.

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

GRAPHISOFT