Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Efficiently Propagating Property Changes Across Multiple Projects

Josh Verran
Advisor

We are launching a project to design multiple prefabricated homes based on a limited designs.

Using one example, if the purchase cost of a fridge, nominated in our designs, increases from $1000 to $1200, how can we efficiently propagate this change across all templates and projects?

Placing each element as a Hotlinked Module is one solution, but I foresee potential drawbacks that may outweigh the benefits.

Manual import and export of properties is another method, but it's quite laborious.

To my knowledge, Linked Libraries manage object data but do not include associated parameters like properties.

What are the best practices for managing such updates efficiently in Archicad?

Operating system used: Windows 10

GRAPHISOFT CERTIFIED ARCHICAD BIM MANAGER | LinkedIn | My Top Wishes

ARCHICAD 18-27 | BIMcloud Basic | CI Tools | Grasshopper - Rhino | CloudCompare | Bluebeam

Perth, Australia and Tauranga, New Zealand

Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i9-9900K @3.60GHZ | 32Gb RAM | 2xSamsung S27F350 1920x1080 60Hz | Nvidia Quadro P2200 (5Gb)

4 REPLIES 4
Kristian Goodsell
Contributor

Josh

If it's just cost mate, I would not manage them in ArchiCAD. Just with prices moving in the cycles they do, it's almost a never ending task on it's own in Archicad.

I would hugely suggest using a "smart" ID system which could then be exported easily and used in external QS software.

And or

Using Properties and Classifications through their Manager dialogs will allow you to export and import, allowing pretty easy propagation of "smart" info from project to project.

Version 6 - 27

Thanks @Kristian Goodsell 
I'm thinking your first option might be the best solution for this scenario.
Sounds like we are going to be using excel as a rough start.
I'll likley set up some suitable expression based properties along with some schedules for easy export/publish.

GRAPHISOFT CERTIFIED ARCHICAD BIM MANAGER | LinkedIn | My Top Wishes

ARCHICAD 18-27 | BIMcloud Basic | CI Tools | Grasshopper - Rhino | CloudCompare | Bluebeam

Perth, Australia and Tauranga, New Zealand

Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i9-9900K @3.60GHZ | 32Gb RAM | 2xSamsung S27F350 1920x1080 60Hz | Nvidia Quadro P2200 (5Gb)

No sweat at all mate!

Excel isn't a bad start. If you're going that way, I'd definitely recommend using an inventory item - cost code style properties. I think most QS software have a similar theme.

Keep it as simple as possible though. A rough example would be something like FRWA-1200

FRWA = Framed Wall - 1200 = 1200mm high.

Version 6 - 27
poco2013
Mentor

By far the easiest method would be to use a excel file that would match a particular/identical schedule set up in each project containing the applicable properties. Then just import that file into each of the projects and those properties would all be updated.

Am alternate, depending on your computer memory, would be to open all projects at the same time using the SHIFT key -- up to 20 -- then use a python script to read your excel data field(s) and update the properties  of each project in turn. "Only one click to do the trick" Or you could just have a master project as your first open project and simply copy the applicable properties ( using the script) from the master to all the other projects. Again -- one click update and eliminates the Excel file..

Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27

Setup info provided by author