Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Large drawing file of a building with many smaller projects

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just upgraded from AC12 to AC14 and the BIM server. I am about to start working for a client with a large (1M SF) building and I will, hopefully, have many small projects within it. How do I keep each project separated so that I can do complete project documents without having a crippling number of layers.

I under stand that I should consider using linked instead of embedded libraries. I don't know if hot linking will let me create floor/ceiling plans, elevations, schedules, etc. for each individual project.

Thanks
35 REPLIES 35
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your response, Link.

I can certainly see the merit of putting all modules in one file. One thing I missed from watching your tutorial re: HLM, you mentioned of using 2 files: master and modules.
In our case, we tried to put all in one basket (both master and modules), which I see as a potential file size blow out, as it is happening already.

Regards,
CYP
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Oh goodness!

Yes having them as separate files is the most crucial part! Please try breaking them apart and trying it. And you are publishing modules through the publisher right? That's just going to speed things up!

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ditto..

As for publishing the module(s), we insert the actual module file and place it onto the master as single storey. Our offie has never published modules (as individual modules via saved view), as this seems to create another external folder with a bunch of module files. Having said this, since we have never tried it before, I might test it to see the difference in file size using individual module from the publisher.

Thanks, Link.

Kind Regards,
CYP
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Yes it certainly does create an extra folder, which is only really an issue if you're working remotely.

The beauty is that the files are generally tiny. And once placed in the master file you can hover over them in the hotlink manager and the pop up tag will tell you where they are placed, how many instances there are etc, which very helpful.

On the publishing side you can assign a dedicated layer combo to the views which filters out any info you don't need in the module, line construction lines, etc. and publishing is very fast.

Just make sure the attributes are identical between your master file and your module file then everything will flow through onto layouts seamlessly.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Does that mean we have to keep publishing the module files everytime we make changes, say to the overall floor plate(s)? Or, we can use update hotlink to pick up the changes?
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
It means both. But that gives you control over what is updated and when.

Plus neither take very long. There's also the advantage of having separate files for size and teamwork access/privileges.

Cheers,
Link.