Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Layer combinations for Layouts (AC 10)

Anonymous
Not applicable
It does not look like layouts in AC 10 include the possibility for associated layer combinations. The issue is related to what layers your tittle blocks are on and any other elements that are "drawn" or placed in the layout. Certain notes would work well to be added to the layouts versus the drawing view. I suppose everything could be put on the archicad layer, but this is limiting. Does anyone have a recommended procedure for layers used associated with the layouts?
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
You could always use a layer extension for the plotmaker layers and then sort the layers by the plotmaker associated layers. This would be the only solution I have for it.
David Pacifico
Booster
Layer combinations work in AC10 layout mode.
Views are placed on a layer, via the new drawing tool.
While I prefer people put information in the project model, you can place notes in the layout. Maybe revision notes that are sheet specific.
David Pacifico, RA

AC27 iMac i9, 32 gig Ram, 8 gig video Ram
TomWaltz
Participant
Mike wrote:
It does not look like layouts in AC 10 include the possibility for associated layer combinations. The issue is related to what layers your tittle blocks are on and any other elements that are "drawn" or placed in the layout. Certain notes would work well to be added to the layouts versus the drawing view. I suppose everything could be put on the archicad layer, but this is limiting. Does anyone have a recommended procedure for layers used associated with the layouts?
I'm leaning toward ignoring the layers as much as possible in Layouts since you cannot associate any kind of Layer Combination wit them. This creates a highly risky practice of remembering which layers are on for each sheet before you print and hoping that you do not need different layers for each layout.

The simplest (safest) method would be to place everything on the Archicad layer, which cannot be turned off.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the comments. It looks like placing all tittle blocks on the archicad layer will be my only options. I like to do my revision bubbles Within the layout and look forward to the day when layouts can be tied to a layer combination - update a single layer combination and you switch from revision one to revision two. I used this method with plotmaker and it worked relatively well. In addition having all of archicad's tools available in the layouts offers the possibility of adding notes to certain types of drawings. The ones that come to mind would be site related for a site that is rotated on the layout (avoids the two file linked module strategy) and perhaps notes for preliminary drawings that have different notes than those that might carry forward
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mike wrote:
Thanks for the comments. It looks like placing all tittle blocks on the archicad layer will be my only options. I like to do my revision bubbles Within the layout and look forward to the day when layouts can be tied to a layer combination - update a single layer combination and you switch from revision one to revision two. I used this method with plotmaker and it worked relatively well. In addition having all of archicad's tools available in the layouts offers the possibility of adding notes to certain types of drawings. The ones that come to mind would be site related for a site that is rotated on the layout (avoids the two file linked module strategy) and perhaps notes for preliminary drawings that have different notes than those that might carry forward
There is a lot of work yet to be done with layers, and I suspect we will see much improvement in this area. If some of my old suggestions are heeded we will have more possibilities than are easily imagined in versions to come.
Rick Thompson
Expert
A little off topic, but something I figured out the hard way, layers in plotmaker are buggy coming into 10. I was purging layers so as not to clutter the combined file, and somethings disappeared. They were on a layer un-checked... so I thought empty. These are the default plotmaker layers. The two I have reading as empty, but are not, are"notes" and "additional graphics" , so I deleted them. Some read properly as having content, some don't.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rick wrote:
A little off topic, but something I figured out the hard way, layers in plotmaker are buggy coming into 10. I was purging layers so as not to clutter the combined file, and somethings disappeared. They were on a layer un-checked... so I thought empty. These are the default plotmaker layers. The two I have reading as empty, but are not, are"notes" and "additional graphics" , so I deleted them. Some read properly as having content, some don't.
Since Attribute Manager is an ArchiCAD add-on it is not surprising that it's not fully up to date with the PlotMaker merge into 10. Unfortunate of course, but not surprising.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to check my master sheets before purging old PlotMaker layers.
Rick Thompson
Expert
I did a report on it, so maybe if will be fixed in an update (?)
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
TomWaltz
Participant
Rick wrote:
AC9 used to list layers that had something on them as "Empty" once in a while too. I got to a point where I did not trust it unless I had checked those layers myself (God help me if there was a lot of details to check, at which point i would usually leave it alone)
Tom Waltz