Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

is text view specific?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was given to believe that text is view specific. Here's my problem: I have created 2 views of the floor plan, one as an architectural plan and the other as an electrical plan saved under different names. but when I erase text from the electrcal plan, it erases in the arch. floor plan too. I have since been transferring text into a new layer that I have named "text-arch". is this the right way of going about it??
7 REPLIES 7
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
That is the right way to go about it. Use layers to show different text for different views. The text will always be there, but you'll create different layer combinations that filter (show/hide) layers individually. Then you assign that layer combo to your view and you're away.

If you have text that is to show up on both views (eg. room names), then create a layer for it and have that layer show on both layer combinations.

Cheers,
Link.
TomWaltz
Participant
Text is Archicad is little different than in any other program. If you delete it anywhere, it's deleted everywhere.

The most common approach is to have a layer for common elements (like Zones for room names) then layers for scale specific (like 1/4" and 1/8" notes) and type specific (architectural, electrical, etc).
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
THANKS SO MUCH...FEELS BETTER WHEN i KNOW i AM DOING THE RIGHT THING
Jere
Expert
i typically have many layers. I figure you just can't get too organized.

I ususally have:
Text-Room Names
Text-Notes
Text-Demolition
Text-Doors
Text-Windows
Text-Titles

and then:
Dimensions
Dimensions-Demo

etc..
ArchiCAD 26-5002; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1660
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Text-Doors
Text-Windows
Text-Titles
Sounds interesting!

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I personally don't have text specific layers except for room labels. I do however have sheet specific layers on which text resides. My theory is as few layers as possible. If something is used on more than one sheet it gets its own layer, otherwise it goes to a single sheet specific layer.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mike wrote:
I personally don't have text specific layers except for room labels. I do however have sheet specific layers on which text resides. My theory is as few layers as possible. If something is used on more than one sheet it gets its own layer, otherwise it goes to a single sheet specific layer.
My feelings (and practice) exactly*. About 90% of all annotations end up on A-ANNO (NCS) or +A ARCH (my preference, the "+" indicates an annotation layer and separates them from the building element layers). Since Find & Select appeared I have seen no reason to separate annotation elements to different layers unless they need to appear on different drawings.

This has the benefit of being easy to set up (all annotation tools default to the same layer) and easy to teach to new users.

*Well, not quite exactly. The room names layer (+A ZONE ROOM) I use for the zone tool and library parts for the room names - no text (tool) as such.