Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Anyone encounter this error? Prot Key is not responding

JCovarrubias
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
For: Mac OS X, ArchiCAD 8.0-8.1
single-license USB hardware key locally connected (to USB port)

Anyone encounter this error? Prot Key is not responding (see screenshot).

Thanks!
http://tr.graphisoftus.com/
Jeffry Covarrubias
GS US Technical Support Team Leader
P-C2D 1.86GHz/2GB w/ 256MB GeForce 8600GTS; G4 OS 10.4.10 1GHz/1GB "[that other software] is a fancy set of electronic marker pens"
18 REPLIES 18
__archiben
Booster
has happened to me maybe once or twice in the past 4 or 5 months.

it happened quite a bit with 8.0v1 . . . but that was a long time ago. i don't recall it being limited to the single user license dongle either: i believe it happened when i was running off of our 10 user license key server too.

it seemed to find the key quite quickly though. i've never had it quit on me because of that: it's found the key before i have had to choose a quit option.

have you updated to the latest WIBUKEY drivers?

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
JCovarrubias
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
It's not a "personal" problem, but WIBU 4.00 hasn't seemed to help a chronic problem reported by a particular set of users I have worked with. Still an open case ... hence the poll.
Jeffry Covarrubias
P-C2D 1.86GHz/2GB w/ 256MB GeForce 8600GTS; G4 OS 10.4.10 1GHz/1GB "[that other software] is a fancy set of electronic marker pens"
Anonymous
Not applicable
I see this happening every once in awhile. Is the key plugged into the keyboard or into the computer directly? Most of the time I can solve this issue by disconnecting and reconnecting the keyboard (which holds the key on my workstation). Looks like some USB problem. Once the key is back in, ArchiCAD usually realizes it within seconds and work continues.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Usually only happens when I pull the key out
I'm using the drivers that come AC since 8.0v1 probably. Last time I had WIBU trouble was when I upgraded to OSX with AC7. A long, long time ago...
Jon Oxman
Contributor
We continue to have issues with our ArchiCAD hardware keys. The current problems goes back to at least mid-July of this year. There are at least 5 workstations in my office that currently have a problem with the protection software repeatedly coming on with the dialog screen saying it is checking for a hardware key which IS there. This has become very annoying and is slowing down the software performance and our productivity.

DiNisco Design has 10 WIBU hardware keys and 5 keys available from the Key Server. Since upgrading to the WIBU keys, the problems have been many and varied ranging from system instability to ArchiCAD unexpectedly losing contact with whichever key (hardware or server) it was using.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Not on my computer. But another person in our office has this happen to them probably 4 times a month.
Jacek
Contributor
Happened the first day after installing 8.1 -every several minutes things would stop while the program was 'looking for the protection key'.
I had to reinstall the program again, for some unrelated reason I don't remember now, and the problem never surfaced again.
Jacek
jacek lisiewicz
----------------------------------------------
arkhos-tekton, architects
carmichael, ca

Mac OS X 10.15.5
IMac Retina 5K, Intel Core I7
32 GIG Memory, AMD Radeon R9
ArchiCAD 24
JCovarrubias
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
In order to get ArchiCAD 6.5 to run in classic environment (emulation) on OS 10 using a WIBU key, one must copy the necessary system files from the AC 8/8.1 cd-rom

Archicad 8.1:Support:ArchiCAD 6.5

into the ArchiCAD 6.5 folder.
Run WIBU 4.00 (or similar) Installer-> Delete Kernel Extension. This removes :system:library:extensions:wkClassicNotSeize.kext
Now you can run ArchiCAD 6.5 on OS X.
However, if Classic Environment is running in the background (even after ArchiCAD 6.5 or some other Classic application like PlotFlow is run), ArchiCAD 8.1 will crash repeatedly with WIBU-Key not found. Test this via:
Save CTRL-S (hit this key combination many times) and you will induce the crash.

The workaround: close Classic Environment in the Force Quit menu via option+Cmd+esc
Jeffry Covarrubias
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having the "not responding problem" right now. Both macs have the same problem and neither mac is connected on the same network. I have just tried the key on both macs since the problem and no matter how many times I re-install 8.1 it never finds the key. I am stuck and currently have 14 houses in AC 8.1 with 2 of them due this Friday!!

Please someone help!!