BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Memory allocation problem

Mishi
Participant
Hi Everyone,

we just got our 8 core, 8GB macpro system for one reason. to be able to render huge masterplans in high resoultion, since archad always reported it's not able to do rendering because of not enough memory.

so we invested in this beast and we have serious problems.
when we are generating 3D window and archicad starts to allocate memory at the 2GB mark the activity monitor reports 16,000,000 TB. after this in most case we are not able to render anything. it just hangs up. Watching it also the "top" in x11, the memory just stops changing.

the attached picture renders, b/c i turned of some layers, but it still reports TB when hits 2GB.

So it seems like ArchiCAD cannot allocate more than 2GB. I thought even 9 could allocate 4GB of physical memory. So what is going on here exactly. We are really dissapointed.

We reported this problem yesterday to our local dealer with the file, but I don't know how fast graphisoft will respond.

I attached a screenshot.

Does anyone have similar problems?

PS> On my G5 system with 2GB of RAM renders this model up to 4048 pixel wide with all layers and with the best resolution using lightworks.
Is there a significant difference between the mactel and the ppc version of archiCAD in memory allocation wise.

Thanks

Mishi
Mishi Szabo
Urban Strategies Inc.

---------
Dual QuadCore Xeon Intel Mac 8GB Memory
20 REPLIES 20
Mishi
Participant
I'm not using the PPC version on it at all. BUT, trust me i tried that option, unfortunatly the PPC version didn't run at all. I copied a PPC version of AC to the intel, and it just didn't start.
Also today;
i got promising email from GS headquarter, that they will test my file on a same Mac that we have here and get back to me. I hope so.

Apple hasn't got back to me since i provided everything for them... thay also seem like aware of that Terrabyte memory report in Activity monitor..

So i just patiently wait.
Mishi Szabo
Urban Strategies Inc.

---------
Dual QuadCore Xeon Intel Mac 8GB Memory
Learn and get certified!