BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Memory on a MacBook Pro

Anonymous
Not applicable
Am purchasing a new 17" MacBook Pro and wondering if anyone has any recommendations on memory. They have two options available - 2GB and 4GB, but the 4GB runs another whopping $675! Graphisoft seems to indicate that 4 is the max that AC can utilize anyway. I'm running AC 8.1. I'm leaning toward just the 2GB, which is twice what I had on my old PowerBook. The 4 is tempting, but the price isn't!
Anyone care to weigh in on this ....... GREATLY Appreciated!!!!
Thanks ahead of time.
Don Brubaker, Architect
2 REPLIES 2
Karl Barker
Participant
Might be best to grab the 4.
If you are like me and have a couple of files open in AC11, one doing a render or someting and annother you are working on, the extra ram helps.
I have a habbit of running out or ram on my intel iMac with 2 Gig, but it will only take 3 Gig anyway.
Cheers,
Karl Barker.

27" iMac 3.6 Ghz Intel Core i9
32 Gig Ram
Mac OSX 10.14.6
AC 5.5 - AC22 (NZE)
Dwight
Newcomer
Mac users often run many programs. It seems that Archicad can only address 2Gb regardless of what head office sez. See the Szabo posting re: 8 core macpro unable to employ more than 2Gb....

So get the 4Gb anyways and have Apple install it because it is more complex than on a boxtop unit. And you'll never have time to put it in later. Hope you are getting the hi-rez screen.

I have 3.5 Gb and regularly peak out with the new, RAM-gobbling Photoshop and Archicad operating together.
Dwight Atkinson
Learn and get certified!