Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Problems on snapping to edge

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm using AC16 Educational version (Finnish). It's up-to-date (4010).

On a plan view it's almost impossible to find (snap on) element's edge. Meaning, the cursor doesn't recognise the edge and it won't change into the three-line style cursor (one up, one down right, one down left). It seems that the tolerance is about 1 pixel, but not even in every part of the element. It seems to recognise elements corners just fine. And selecting element by drawing the window across the edge works well.
This concerns at least fills, lines, polylines and slabs. Walls seem to work fine.
It's a bit better when the edge is NOT orthogonal (horizontal or vertical).
It feels almost like a wrong value in setting of magnet in Work Environment > Drawing angles(?); sorry, I'm not sure of the translation. But the magnet should affect on corners only, right? So it seems.

Editing the elements is painful. This is so annoying that I'm changing back to AC15, if there's no solution. I would be grateful for any tips!

EDIT: I'm using Mac with OS X 10.6.8.
7 REPLIES 7
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Pasi:

Look at Work Environment > User Preference Schemes > Mouse Constraints and Methods > Cursor Snap Range and try a larger number of pixels.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
Look at Work Environment > User Preference Schemes > Mouse Constraints and Methods > Cursor Snap Range and try a larger number of pixels.
Thank you for the tip, but that's not the reason: earlier my own translation 'magnet' ment just the same setting, 'Cursor Snap Range'. In Finnish version it's just 'Magnet'. So that doesn't have any effect on edge, corner only. If I increase the number, mouse snaps on corners from a distance but not the edges.

Yes, I'll add a signature. After this post...
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Pasi, try to experiment with setting in the Work Environment Dialog to see if it is graphics card driver related.

Try to turn off 2D Drawing Hardware acceleration.

Also, try updating your driver.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
Try to turn off 2D Drawing Hardware acceleration.

Also, try updating your driver.
Thank you, laszlonagy.
2D Drawing Hardware Acceleration was already set off (slider on the left).
In the upper part of the same window both (my translations again...) "2D anti-alias" and "3D OpenGL anti-alias" and also "Don't smoothen horizontal and vertical lines" are all set on. But in bottom of the window there's a text saying something like: "Warning: anti-alias is automatically disabled, because graphic card's capacity is not enough". So the graphic card could be more efficient... Only 512 MB.

I tried to update driver (means in Mac OS searching the updates to the whole OS). It was up-to-date.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Pasi:

The Cursor Snap Range does control the snap range to edges here, so I don't know why it does not on yours.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
The Cursor Snap Range does control the snap range to edges here, so I don't know why it does not on yours.
Yes, that's strange...

This might have something to do with the design size. I'm working on a large scale area plan, several km2's so the scale of window is set to maximum 1:30000 and I'm looking things from far. When I zoom in, selecting / snapping on edges gets a bit easier.
But still, it's not a good reason since it works on AC15 (just checked) and also reasonable well in AC16 with walls, at least. And corners can be snapped easily.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I moved on to a newest version (AC17 EDU FIN), and snapping is working fine again.