Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Save error & missing file

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've got a scary issue that I can't seem to find any info about, but I'm sure you all can help me out.

At the end of the day on Friday I logged out of Archicad as usual, but received an unusual error message that said something like "cannot save plan". I assumed a system resource must be busy, so I waited and tried saving & closing again. This time it seemed to work as usual so I didn't give it another thought. Today, however, the .pln file is completely missing AND the .bpn file is missing as well. Please help!

I'm using AC10 on an intel Mac, using the latest build. In fact, this happened just after updating AC.

I seem to remember a problem similar to this that I had with AC8. Files would somehow disappear and would be replaced with a scratch file.

Any help will be appreciated!
18 REPLIES 18
TomWaltz
Participant
Is this on your local machine or on a file server?
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Good question, this was lost on a NAS file server that's only being utilized by one machine.
TomWaltz
Participant
Ever since OS10.4, we've have problems with files "disappearing" and getting the "Cannot save Plan" error.

The files are usually still there, just that machine cannot see them. Restarting the machine gets rid of the problem.

We're in the process of moving from a Linux file server to an XServe and are hoping that it will fix the problem.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
Ever since OS10.4, we've have problems with files "disappearing" and getting the "Cannot save Plan" error.

The files are usually still there, just that machine cannot see them. Restarting the machine gets rid of the problem.

We're in the process of moving from a Linux file server to an XServe and are hoping that it will fix the problem.
Hmm....strange one.....
But, you're right, it WAS there and a reboot seems to have helped. Oddly enough, I've been using the Mactel version since it was released with no problems at all, but after I installed the latest build this is happening. I just tried saving again and same error message, but NOT when I saved to the local disk.

Thanks for the help Tom! Anyone else have experience with this problem?
Anonymous
Not applicable
i have had and continue to have a similar situation. I am working on a quad core mac pro and AC version 1010 for the mac intel. When i save to my server i get the same error. I have noticed that if i go in through the server the files are still there. I haven't noticed the restart making a difference, but i will definitely give that a shot. Does anyone have any experience with a solution to this?

I would also be interested in hearing how the xserve works out. Keep me updated on this as i would like to move to this as well.

Hope this problem gets fixed soon.
Anonymous
Not applicable
sorry for the triple post - had an error file and it decided to put it on a few times?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I'm running a X-serve with X-san attached to an XRAID. we have just started getting these error messages after updating our Server to 10.4.9

We are at the moment using AC9.0 but I have tested AC10 and we get the same error message.

There seems to be a privilege problem where the plp or pln will not release the access privileges to anyone else.

ie. one person can sign into .plp file and work away happily, the plp has ownership as them. anyone else tries to sign in error message and a tmp file is created of the .plp. we are also getting the same with pln file too.

Its a strange one and I have been racking my brain for a week now trying to narrow down where the problem lies. I have no other issues with privileges with any other software on the Server, so I guess there is a conflict somewhere with the Archicad file and OSX Server Software.

I have logged this with GSHQ so if I here anything back i will post their reply here

regards
T
Anonymous
Not applicable
I currently have the same problem on the Mac Power G5 in the office. It has Mac OS X 10.4.8 and is running AC10 Build 815 USA FULL. I was working on a file and when I went to save it said "cannot save plan." I hadn't changed much since the previous save, so I just closed it out and went to reopen the file. The .pln file and .bpn file were both missing. The files were on the local Mac HD on the machine. There are many hours of work on this file and the last backup file I have is from a month ago. I tried restarting several times as suggested in another post, but with no avail. Several posts mentioned that the files are still there and can be seen in certain circumstances, but I have not been able to find them at all. I am currently running some data recovery software in an attempt to find the file, but have had no luck yet. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. PLEASE HELP.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Chad,
Are you saving to a server or your local hard drive on the machine?
CS