BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Server vs. workstation

Tom Krowka
Booster
Have burnt up my six year old workstation; need new computer. Am debating whether to get another workstation and use AC in standalone, or purchase a server. Was wondering what the most cost effective solution is. I have one other workstation operating as standalone, we share file across a network now.

How difficult is it to set everything up with a server and two computers. Is it worth doing on such a small scale.

Please, no highly technical IT info; am an architect not an IT whiz. Is there a white paper link to a comparison?

Thanks.
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
3 REPLIES 3
Karl Ottenstein
Hi Tom,

If it is just two of you, then you do not need a server. Whether Windows or Mac, it is completely easy to set up a so-called peer-to-peer network that lets you share the files on one machine with the other or each machine with the other. (On the Windows side, this is easiest and most secure if you have a Professional/Ultimate version of Windows - NOT the Home version. On a Mac, it's just easy, period.)

Alternatively, you can just buy a "network attached storage device" - fancy language for a box with one or more hard disks and a network jack in the back that just shows up as shared storage on your network. Want one with a fast drive and gigabit ethernet interface.

If the two of you are considering running TeamWork, then your new computer should have good performance specs and ample memory / fast disk storage.

Also, if your computer just died, chances are that your router is old too. Consider upgrading to a gigabit router (under $50) as the data transfer speeds when your other computer accesses files on your new one will be dramatically faster. (The existing computer, if a PC, may need a gigabit network card added - cheap and very easy do it yourself thing.)

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Tom Krowka
Booster
thanks Karl.

I thought that the new server setup replaced Teamwork; I guess I am mistaken. In any case, thanks for the advice.... I appreciate it.

Tom
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Karl Ottenstein
Karl wrote:
If the two of you are considering running TeamWork, then your new computer should have good performance specs and ample memory / fast disk storage.
Hi Tom,

Just to clarify the above... I seem to have omitted a bit - I'm assuming that if you run TW that you would run the BIM Server module on your new computer (as well as ArchiCAD for yourself or whoever is using that machine). For a two person office, there will be no noticeable impact of having the BIM Server and a user on the same computer, if its performance is good enough.

Note that running BIM Server does not require a license key (WIBU / Codemeter). Only ArchiCAD itself uses a license on your keyplug.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!