BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Viewing Multiple Windows

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi. First time poster.

I have recently commenced a role as a draftsperson using ArchiCAD. I am previously a REVIT user and upon entering this role I was given only basic training using ArchiCAD. Which is fine, I enjoy the challenge.

One feature of Revit I particularly enjoyed was the ability to have multiple windows open simultaneously (3d view, floor plan, section all at the same time for example). This enabled me to instantly see how the changes I was making to a model were affected in a different view, allowing for a speedy understanding of the modelling process.

Is this something that is possible in ArchiCAD? I find it to be a less informative and less productive process when I have to continuously change between screens to see how changes are being affected in a different view.

Any help will be tremendously appreciated.
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable
Gus wrote:
Go to the "wishes" part of this forum and post this as a "wish." I too believe this would be an amazing addition to the program. I've thought this for many years. One thing I have noticed is that if I have several tabs/views open such as 3D, Section, and plan, one of those often bugs out then crashes. I'm guessing that this overloads the graphics processor or something? If anyone knows how I can keep ArchiCAD from bugging out (psychedelic colors and lines everywhere in one of the windows) when three or more are visible at once. I would love to hear how that can be fixed. I'm running 3 monitors with a pretty beefy graphics card: Quadro K2000m
Sorry, but has that wish been posted somewhere? Can't find anything to support it. It's essential for me. Getting angry every day about this missing feature.
Barry Kelly
Looper wrote:
Sorry, but has that wish been posted somewhere? Can't find anything to support it. It's essential for me. Getting angry every day about this missing feature.
https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=59862&p=295114&hilit=monitor#p295114

This one maybe?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Johann_P
Advocate
Hi,
I've been using archicad for about 2 weeks and this is my first post here. I'm confident it will not be the last....

I've been working on revit since about 2005 though.

I cant seem to figure out how to view multiple windows.
I'm on Archicad 24 and windows machine.

1) I don't have a minimize button on the individual view tabs, only a close button.
2) When I click the "show windows overview" tab the open windows all temporarily open, but if I click on one, all others close.

Any help will be appreciated.
ArchiCAD24 - since Nov 2020
Revit - 2005 to 2020
Windows 10 Pro
2 screens: nvidia quadro RTX 4000
Jp1138
Expert
Johann.P wrote:

1) I don't have a minimize button on the individual view tabs, only a close button.

Maybe you are missing the button because it´s somewhat out the the way

ARCHICAD 27 SPA
Windows 10
Barry Kelly
Johann.P wrote:

It is not in the TAB bar, but is at the top right of the screen.
The larger buttons at the very top are for the Archicad program window itself.
The slightly smaller ones underneath are for the currently open window.
As shown in the image by Jp1138.

When you minimise/reduce a window, the control will now be at the top right corner of that window.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Johann_P
Advocate
Thanks. It works.

As a follow up quesionts:

1) Is there an "auto-tile-window" function? It seem that the windows require manual sizing each?

2) There seems to be talk of dragging a window onto a second screen in Mac.
I am on a PC, search the forum and the general interwebs, but cant seem to find a similar function.
ArchiCAD24 - since Nov 2020
Revit - 2005 to 2020
Windows 10 Pro
2 screens: nvidia quadro RTX 4000
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Unfortunately, there is no auto-tiling function in Archicad. You can unmaximize Tabs as the other guys said and then manually resize them to their desired size.

On Windows, Tabs are constrained to within the Archicad application window. So you would have to resize your Archicad Window to extend two screens. This has been a wish from the community for some time.

A couple of things you may want to know:
- There is only a single Floor Plan Viewpoint and a single 3D Viewpoint, so at any time only one Floor Plan Tab and one 3D Tab can be open.
- The contents of Tabs are redrawn only when you click on them (so they become the active Tab). So you may have the Floor Plan and the 3D next to each other, you make a change in the Floor Plan, but the 3D will update only when you click it. These are some of the "idiosyncrasies" of Archicad.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Would be great if the DEFAULT was NOT MAX windows for library editing...

I do appreciate that if you keep editing in one ArchiCAD session, it will open up "like" windows to match...

But it's not fun having to do it for EVERY window to start
a. Object Main screen / unmaximize
b. 2d script / un maximize
c. 3d scrip / unmaximize
d. etc., etc.
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Duane, you are free to make a wish.
That way we could vote and submit it to Graphisoft for consideration.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!