Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

open a recovery file?

Tom Krowka
Booster
How does open a recovery file. Have had some kind of saving issue.....there is no PLN file in the directory to which I saved. This is the location noted in the open dialogue box. C:users/tom/appdata/local/graphisoft followed by a bunch of numbers But there is nothing there either. "File is unavailable".
The Recovery file is my hope.
Thanks Tom
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly
Tom,
I have deleted your similar post you asked in a different post (no need to ask the same thing in two separate posts).

If you 'Saved' and then shut the file, there will be no recovery file because Archicad assumes you have saved successfully and will delete the recovery file.
Only if you crash or force quit Archicad without saving will there be a recovery file.
You will see this recovery file the next time you start Archicad.

I have no idea why Archicad is telling you the file is saved in the 'AppData' folder as that is a system folder (usually hidden by your Operating System settings).
The recovery files are located in ... users/tom/graphisoft/AutoSave.... I believe - certainly not in the AppData folder.

So Archicad is telling you where the file is in the recent files list, but when you click on it nothing happens?
If your 'AppData' folder is hidden, maybe try showing it - in Windows Explorer, View tab, tick the 'Hidden Items' box.
Not sure if that will work though.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Tom Krowka
Booster
It says the file is not available. The file it references is not there either. Hidden files are checked to be displayed.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Tom Krowka
Booster
Also. There is no auto save file. Although data safety in work environment is set to save every five freakin minutes.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Barry Kelly
I have no idea why Archicad would have saved to your "AppData' folder as that is usually only for preference and settings files.
But if Archicad did save there, then there will be no recovery file as those recovery files are deleted on a successful save.

You would think though that if Archicad did save to that folder then the file would still be there.
All I can think of is that as that folder is constantly being written to, that maybe that saved file was overwritten or deleted.
I have no real idea.

All I can suggest is try doing a system wide search for the file if you know the name, or maybe just search for any '.PLN' file created in the last day or so.
Also try searching for a '.BPN' file - the last saved backup.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11