cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

Strange event with BIM server and RAID.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello.

I just wanted to share this problem that i solved.

We have a server machine running BIM server. It it is a mac pro with internal HDD:s: Macintosh HD for system and two additional drives installed as a single RAID volume.

I don't really know how OsX handles RAID devices, but on the server, the raid volume shows with name Data. However on the network this volume shows up with name Data 1. Content is same. (which is quite weird!)

If you go to /Volumes/ there I can see both: Data and Data 1. I assume that these are the physical disks for the RAID.

Okay. When BIM server was installed, the TeamworkProject-folder was configured to be on Data-volume. OSX-software seems to handle paths different way than Unix does. It is that way little strange that BIM-server uses straight path which is : /Volumes/Data/ProjectFolder

I think that this RAID thing messes up this a little. For some reason the link to the Data-volume has changed to DATA 1. For that reason BIM server after update didn't find this DATA-volume any more and would't start. I looked the problem for a while and then discovered that the path was "wrong". Then i changed both the ProjectFolder and AttachmentFolder paths (from the config xml-file) and then it started to work. Here is log lines before the change:

9/2/11 8:08:23 AM	com.graphisoft.TeamworkServerManager-v14.0[1151]	Error: Failed to run TeamworkServerManager as service application
9/2/11 8:08:23 AM	com.graphisoft.TeamworkServerManager-v14.0[1151]	Exception: ServiceProcessException: Failed to start server manager: failed to check and set folder and file permission bits.
9/2/11 8:08:23 AM	com.graphisoft.TeamworkServerManager-v14.0[1151]		at /Volumes/Work/AutoBuild.Vitruvius/Vitruvius/Sources/TWServer/TeamworkServerManager/Source/Teamwork/Server/Manager/ServerManager.cpp(271)
9/2/11 8:08:23 AM	com.graphisoft.TeamworkServerManager-v14.0[1151]	Caused by: IOException: Failed to create folder: /Volumes/Data/TeamWork Projects/Attachments. (Error code: -2130640124)
9/2/11 8:08:23 AM	com.graphisoft.TeamworkServerManager-v14.0[1151]		at /Volumes/Work/AutoBuild.Vitruvius/Vitruvius/Sources/TWServer/TeamworkCommon/Teamwork/Common/IO/IOUtilities.cpp(218)
9/2/11 8:08:23 AM	com.apple.launchd[1]	(com.graphisoft.TeamworkServerManager-v14.0[1151]) Exited with exit code: 1
9/2/11 8:08:24 AM	com.graphisoft.TeamworkMessagingServer-v14.0[1139]	ACTIVEMQ_HOME: /Applications/Graphisoft/Mallipalvelin/Server Modules/1400/TeamworkMessagingServer
9/2/11 8:08:24 AM	com.graphisoft.TeamworkMessagingServer-v14.0[1139]	ACTIVEMQ_BASE: /Applications/Graphisoft/Mallipalvelin/Server Modules/1400/TeamworkMessagingServer
9/2/11 8:08:24 AM	com.graphisoft.TeamworkMessagingServer-v14.0[1139]	Loading message broker from: xbean:activemq.xml
9/2/11 8:09:37 AM	com.graphisoft.TeamworkServerMonitor-v14.0[84]	launchctl list returned unknown response
9/2/11 8:09:37 AM	com.graphisoft.TeamworkServerMonitor-v14.0[84]	launchctl list returned unknown response
So. I am certain that this problem was because the ProjectFolder and AttachmentFolder was configured to RAID-volume.

Is there any similar cases?
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Answering myself:

Okay. The issue has nothing to do with BimServer itself. It is a bug (or feature) of OsX. When unexpected boot happens to server, the mount point (this case /Volumes/Data) stays there on next boot. When osx sees that it mounts the device to /Volumes/Data 1. So there the link goes broken. But everything SEEMS to work. Problem is that time machine won't backup /Volumes folder and everything saved on that location can be lost!

Here is link to Apple support document for this issue:
support.apple.com/kb/TS2474

SO I RECOMMEND TO MAKE BIMSERVER PROJECT FOLDER TO STARTUP PARTITION SO THIS CANNOT HAPPEN!