Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

server showing up as "offline"

Dave Brach
Expert
I travel a bit and often have to access my bimserver from remote locations. Very often, I can connect to the internet fine, and my Virtual Private Network shows that I am connected, Archicad tells me that I am that my sever is "offline". What's up? What does "offline" mean exactly" when I know that I am connected to my network?
Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura
AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
11 REPLIES 11
Ed_Brown
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dave,

The BIM Server uses the messaging port to determine whether the BIM Server is accessible (online). The default ports are 15004 for version 15, 16004 for version 16 and 17004 for version 17. If a port is blocked by a firewall then ArchiCAD will consider the BIM Server offline.

When using the Internet, these ports are likely to be blocked.
Graphisoft Technical Support
Dave Brach
Expert
Ok, but my experience is much more sporadic and random than a firewall setting. For instance, I work 1/2 time at my office and 1/2 time at my home. My server is at my home. When I am at my office, the server shows up "offline" many times a day. Sometimes restarting the computer helps. And all the while, my internet is working, and my VPN is tunnelling directly to my server machine at my home. If this were due to a firewall blocking a port, wouldn't it be consistent all the time? By comparison, at my home, the connection always works--same computer same internet provider. Is this really a firewall/port setting?
Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura
Ed_Brown
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
In this case the reason is to be found in the network. At various intervals the client checks its connection with the server. If the time to setup a tcp connection is greater than 20 seconds it considers the server offline. When working over the Internet it is entirely possible that it happens a tcp connection can take more than 20 seconds to establish (it is not normal but it happens). If the client is checking whether the server is online at one of these times, then it will register the BIM Server offline.

In the next version of ArchiCAD the network routines have been re-written to address non-reliable networks better.
Dave Brach
Expert
thanks, this makes sense. I share a network with a neighboring business and so access is probably compromised at times. Good to know.
Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura
rob2218
Enthusiast
In the "next" version of Archicad?
Is there no solution in version AC17-latest build?
You mean we have to wait until AC18 to get these issues resolved?
Unacceptable my friend...pardon my directness.
This online/offline issue needs addressing........NOW!

Ed wrote:
In this case the reason is to be found in the network. At various intervals the client checks its connection with the server. If the time to setup a tcp connection is greater than 20 seconds it considers the server offline. When working over the Internet it is entirely possible that it happens a tcp connection can take more than 20 seconds to establish (it is not normal but it happens). If the client is checking whether the server is online at one of these times, then it will register the BIM Server offline.

In the next version of ArchiCAD the network routines have been re-written to address non-reliable networks better.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
rob2218
Enthusiast
Nick!....sir....my G.S. I.T. expert?...where art thou?
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Ed_Brown
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Rob,

It appears you found the right link. But for the others please look here:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=225802

A registry setting may work around the issue.

Ed
rob2218
Enthusiast
thanks Ed.
A registry setting huh.....humm.....you know what happens when "registries" are messed with.....the entire darn program, PC, MAC everything ceases to function.

I guess what I'm looking for is a fellow (his name was Nick Corona I believe) who ran across this similar situation with me on a former office I used to work at in D.C.

Nick was instrumentally (no wait...VITALLY) important in helping us work out this problem.

Ed, could you elaborate a bit more on the "registry" solution?
in lamens (sp?) terms if that's even possible.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
rob2218
Enthusiast
...well...it appears, after our AC in-house guru spoke to Nick from GS that "Java" update perhaps is once again the culprit to this "online/offline" issue......so folks...I suggest if you are having these issues....try updating your "java" application?
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23