Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

3D PDF

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to build up my first 3D pdf for client presentation.

I did an easy test exporting the 3d model of a simple wall as .u3d file, and then I placed it in my empty pdf page.

Then I tried to import the .u3d file of a building in design, but Acrobat crashed a few times. The size of the .u3d model I'm trying to import is 60-70 Mb.

Does anyone use 3D pdf on a regular basis? Is my file size too large?

Thanks!

Enrico
32 REPLIES 32
The example in the link is made with Acrobat 9 Pro which has been out for 3 years. It's nothing new or improved about it unless I missed something.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the support!

I'll try with the 3ds format now!
Save your ArchiCAD model as U3D file if you like.

It's so easy my 9th grade daughter is using it with ArchiCAD for school project. She is quite the little ArchiGuru if I do say so myself.

Shot at 2011-04-08

Shot at 2011-04-08

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Do you need to do any operation on the 3d model before you export it in u3d format?

Last time I tried to export the project of a building (a simple house), Acrobat kept on crashing...
For the 3D no. I just save as U3D. It automatically makes a layer for each part of the model that you can turn on or off to make the views you like in Acrobat. Lighting, rendering modes, ect...all in the Acrobat. Very cool.

But for the other kind of regular layers, you need to save your project in .dwg format, then open the .dwg with the acrobat.

rob2218
Enthusiast
Doesn't seem to work for me either
I really did like that U3d file format...but it wont open in Adobe Acrobat and I have Adobe Acrobat 9.0....wonder if I need I plug-in or something??

can't seem to make it work.
I created the U3d file out of an archicad 3d model view "save as u3d" and it created the file...I just can't seem to open it using any software.

What's the trick Steve??
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
rob2218
Enthusiast
here's the error message I get.
bummer...I remember seeing this "u3d" format a while ago but never got it to work right....hopefully someone here can shed some light as to why it's not working??

we have Archicad 14, Adobe Pro version 9...and that's it.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Karl Ottenstein
The u3d format does not open in Acrobat 9 for me, rather it is placed in a multimedia frame inside a new or existing PDF file.

With a PDF open (or create new blank PDF), from the Multimedia toolbar, select the 3D tool and draw a viewport on your page. You'll be prompted then to browse for the file. The u3d file which otherwise gives the error message you show will now display itself in the view rectangle on the page.

HTH,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
rob2218
Enthusiast
thanks Karl,
yes...that definately did the trick!
Amazing how far Adobe and PDF formats have come.
adding sticky notes, 3d viewable and rotatable embeds, jpg images, sheet insertion and merging, Optimizations...wow...amazing!.

PDF seems to be on top of their game! go Adobe.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
rob2218
Enthusiast
Hey...do any of you guys know if Adobe Reader (the freeware tool) can view these 3d u3d embedded images or does the person HAVE to have the full blown Adobe Acrobat??

Please advise.

thanks.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23