Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Cut renders - how to preserve interior lights?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi!

I have a problem that has been bugging me out for quite some time. Sorry if this was answered in another post; I searched, but couldn't find the answer anywhere...

Here it goes: I want to render a cut of my building, in order to show the exterior lighting AND the interior one as well. I've tried to do it, but when I cut the building, the render assumes I actually did cut the building, so the sun shines there as if there's the aforementioned lateral cut.
What can I do to prevent this behavior and preserve my interior light scheme?

These are some examples of what I want to do:
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Try this: render it 2 times, one with Sun on, and one with Sun off, then use Photoshop to compose into single image.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ya I have also tried to do this awhile back, I found if i took it to sketchup it worked, sketch up had a plug in for this, not sure if its still out there, as this was some time ago.

But a quick solution would be as Mark said use Photoshop, that way u can get everything u want, an those images u posted where mostly likely created in Photoshop too....

But if anyone else knows the proper way to do this I too would be very interested.
Anonymous
Not applicable
MarkMoscrip wrote:
Try this: render it 2 times, one with Sun on, and one with Sun off, then use Photoshop to compose into single image.
Thanks for your suggestion! However, a question came up:

I exported from archicad to artlantis an unfinished model of a residencial building. Before exporting I used the 3D Cutaway option in Archicad and saved the file in the view I wanted to render.

In artlantis, I added the interior lights and deactivated the archicad heliodon. As you can see below, I haven't tried to merge the render with the sun with this one, but I think the results might be good. However, in this case, the third and second floors do have light bouncing from their walls. This shouldn't be possible, particularly in the second floor, because there are places which are completely enclosed by secondary walls and doors. What is the source of the light in the lower floors?
Untitled Path_1.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Go to Options> Element Atributes> Materials, make sure the Lightworks Rendering Engine is selected under Create Preview, select relevant material and adjust the Reflectance setting as required.
Anonymous
Not applicable
dennisjoe wrote:
Go to Options> Element Atributes> Materials, make sure the Lightworks Rendering Engine is selected under Create Preview, select relevant material and adjust the Reflectance setting as required.
You meant Options> Element Atributes> Surfaces, right? There, I followed your steps, and reduced the reflectance to 0.30. When I exported to artlantis, the walls did became darker. However, if I change the reflectance back to 0.89 - the original setting, the overall brightness does note change (it remains dark)...It's worth mentioning that I had to install all the software again in a new pc, and I don't have the original artlantis file.

What may be causing this behaviour?