Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Exporting to Cinema 4D

Anonymous
Not applicable
We have a rendering issue that some of the 3D models that we need to use are either not converting well in Archicad 18 even with helper apps such as ModelPort. Our question is can we export the Archicad 18 file into Cinema 4D and still be able to add new objects that are more complex to the file for rendering?

We are creating concept for a new high end automotive dealership and the car models that are available are the issue.
11 REPLIES 11
Wokka
Contributor
http://din3d.net/products/din3d-importer-c4d

Very powerful export plugin, updates the model, lots of options, I use materials but you can use layers etc etc.
Export plugin is free, importer to C4D pretty cheap for what it is.
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
3 D E N V I R O N M E N T
http://www.3de.com.au
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render
Eduardo Rolon
I also vouch for Din3D been using it for ages and it is up to date with AC18.

Process is simple:
1. Model in AC go to the 3D Window
2. Hit Save as, choose by materials add 39.37 as conversion factor
3. in C4D use the importer to get the info in.

Result is you get to or more guys if you are using TeamWork in AC modeling and another guy doing lighting, cameras and adding instances of complex objects.
If the model changes then you can refresh it and you don't need to reapply materials in C4D.

Bonus points is that the stuff you have learned using Cinerender in AC apply to C4D since they are the same commands.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
So if I understand we will be able to export and import through this process and then add new .c4d objects in Cinema 4D and render inside of C4D. I will download the Din3D plug in as well.

But if I understand all of this starts in the 3D window in Archicad, does that allow us to change the view as well in C4D or are we exporting views for each scene we need.
Anonymous
Not applicable
So you are using both their exporter and importer. If I am reading their website correctly its still uses Archicad for actual model changes or is that just an option. It seems we need to make changes in C4D as the automotive models we are wanting to use are native C4D or 3DS, neither of which seems to come into Archicad very well from what we have experienced. We would be looking to add those object in once we have the file in C4D
Eduardo Rolon
The views are saved in AC if you placed cameras in the file, if not then the workflow is to add the cameras, lights and "the high polycount objects" in the C4D file.

The trick that the Din3D Exporter/Importer brings is that when you make changes to the AC file you re-export the 3D view again and in C4D you "Update" the model. This saves time reapplying textures to the previous placed objects (which was an issue prior to AC18 since there were no C4D materials) and you only have to verify the changed items.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
I do not believe we have "placed" cameras in the AC file. I think our core question is with Din3D are we just exporting a specific 3D AC view or can we actually go into the model as we would have in Archicad but now in CD4 and make structure changes as opposed to just modifying surfaces etc? The issue is we are not able to get the car models we need into AC as they usually come a .3ds and that conversion is problematic. There is great availability of these in CD4 but those are beyond the ability of the CineRender engine in AC.

So I think we are trying to do is export the AC file in some fashion so it can be edited and added to in CD4 and then render in CD4. To do that we need to be using both the export and importer from Din3D?
Eduardo Rolon
Saving from AC using Din3D means that you are saving a copy of the model and you need both importer/exporter. One to get the model out of Archicad and the other to get the model in C4D.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
So our core question is since we cannot get these car models in .cd4 with acceptable results once we have the Archicad model into CD4 we can then add in new .cd4 objects to the model while in CD4 and then render
Eduardo Rolon
Yes.

1. Model in AC what AC is good at.
2. Export to C4D (using Din3D) and place cameras, lights, extra objects and modify the materials as necessary
3. If there are changes in AC just export again and update fixing the changes if necessary.
4. Render in C4D

-----
Advanced User info: For high poly items in C4D like cars and trees it is recommended that you create what is called "Instances" which will help to reduce rendering times. In your case that means that if you are placing 4-6 quattroportes with the same paint job it might reduce the time needed to produce the final renders.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator