Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.
SOLVED!

Hotlink Modules Surfaces mysteriously changed when updated in Host/Master file

Rene Pahlavan
Enthusiast

Strange thing happening when in the module file the window frame and sash surfaces are set to "9 | Color - Black', but when they are updated in the host/master file, these surfaces are suddenly changed to "Tile-Ceiling-Accoustical-2x4" or "Brick:Running Bond" (the latter being a missing surface so it shows up purple and black checker pattern). What is going on? The host file has the "9 | Color - Black" surface installed, and this issue is only happening on two mods of several in the host/master file (i.e. other mods are updating fine with the correct window frame and sash surface). 

Screenshots attached below showing the windows in 3D + with window settings showing the frame and sash surface settings. First two are from the mod. Screenshots 3-6 are from the host/master file showing how the mod's windows show in 3D and their Window Settings (the second problem mod in the host file is associated to a different hotlink module - but the window frame and sash surfaces are the same). 

Screenshot 2024-08-08 at 13.12.01.png

Screenshot 2024-08-08 at 13.11.17.png

  

Screenshot 2024-08-08 at 13.11.43.png

Screenshot 2024-08-08 at 13.10.50.png

  

Screenshot 2024-08-08 at 13.19.42.png

Screenshot 2024-08-08 at 13.19.24.png

Operating system used: Mac Apple Silicon 14.5 Sonoma

  

AC27 (Apple Silicon)

macOS Sonoma 14.1.2.

MBP M3 Max (16-inch 2023)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly

The names of surfaces (and other attributes) is not important to Archicad.

It is only what we see as a user.

It is the index numbers of the attributes that Archicad uses.

So your '9 | Color - Black' in the module may be attribute number 43 (seems to be different index number in the other MOD file as well).

In you main model the same attribute number is 'Tile-Ceiling-Accoustical-2x4', so it is swapping.

You need to maintain the same attributes in the main file and all of the modules as well - easier said than done.

The checker pattern is because the main file does not have the same textures loaded in the libraries.

These textures can be in their own library which you have to load in every file, or they may be in the embedded library, then you will need to ensure they are in the embedded library of all of the files.

It is easier to have an"office library" or a "project library" that you load in all files and don't have anything in the embedded library, move it all to the 'office' or 'project' library.

An office library will be used for all projects that you do and a project library would be specific for just that one project.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Solution
Barry Kelly

The names of surfaces (and other attributes) is not important to Archicad.

It is only what we see as a user.

It is the index numbers of the attributes that Archicad uses.

So your '9 | Color - Black' in the module may be attribute number 43 (seems to be different index number in the other MOD file as well).

In you main model the same attribute number is 'Tile-Ceiling-Accoustical-2x4', so it is swapping.

You need to maintain the same attributes in the main file and all of the modules as well - easier said than done.

The checker pattern is because the main file does not have the same textures loaded in the libraries.

These textures can be in their own library which you have to load in every file, or they may be in the embedded library, then you will need to ensure they are in the embedded library of all of the files.

It is easier to have an"office library" or a "project library" that you load in all files and don't have anything in the embedded library, move it all to the 'office' or 'project' library.

An office library will be used for all projects that you do and a project library would be specific for just that one project.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lingwisyer
Guru

As long as you have not created any new Surfaces in your modules files, I would just use the Attribute Manager to merge your host files Surfaces into that of your modules. IF YOU HAVE created new ones, I would Append them into the host, then edit the Index Number in the module to match.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Rene Pahlavan
Enthusiast

Thanks Barry! Thanks Lingwisyer!

AC27 (Apple Silicon)

macOS Sonoma 14.1.2.

MBP M3 Max (16-inch 2023)

Setup info provided by author