Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

!Restored: Is this multiprocessor support?

Anonymous
Not applicable
AC12 was advertised as the first BIM to support multiprocessoring!
So I gave it a try in rendering - LW with best for all settings!

Alas, it looks like AC11!
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, Djordje, I have tried it! That is why I switched to AC12! But if AC boasts to have a good rendering engine users would expect that it should have been affected by this newly introduced feature too! Or am I wrong?

In my opinion renderings without best antialiashing in the 21 century are an insult to the architect and his design!

There are two new features in AC12 I have discovered by far - multiprocessoring and curtain wall too! The first one is not working 100% and the other I haven't tried yet. But I doubt very seriously if anyone would invest in AC12 just for curtain wall! It is multiprocessoring that will urge users to do it!

And Alpha channel is not working either! Again!
Dwight
Newcomer
"kliment" wrote:

And Alpha channel is not working either! Again! [/quote

Get specific so i can check.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's the same old problem, Dwight! You can't separate the rendered object from the background. Since when do we have this (big) problem - AC10 or 9?

And I know the workaround with the Internal Engine!
Dwight
Newcomer
Okay. Got it now.
That is a long standing problem.

Time for the Artlantis.
Dwight Atkinson
What about the 3D window? Does multiprocessor support in AC 12 change anything? I spend hours a week waiting rebuilding 3D windows in an 2xquad machine, with a single processor going crazy and the other 7 idle, on AC 11. And I can't do much with my time and the other processors because AC 11 likes to crash when generating large 3D models and you do as much as click anywhere else.
Karl Ottenstein
Ignacio wrote:
What about the 3D window? Does multiprocessor support in AC 12 change anything? I spend hours a week waiting rebuilding 3D windows in an 2xquad machine, with a single processor going crazy and the other 7 idle, on AC 11. And I can't do much with my time and the other processors because AC 11 likes to crash when generating large 3D models and you do as much as click anywhere else.
Yes, you can observe multiple cores active while the 3D window generates - at one (brief) point, all 8 cores on my machine go 'hot'.

I suggest that you download the free demo of 12 and try your file with it to see if you think the difference is worthwhile. 😉

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl wrote:
I suggest that you download the free demo of 12 and try your file with it to see if you think the difference is worthwhile. 😉
I had put the whole upgrade plan on hold based on some other comment from you (heh), the one about 'there are also some known bugs in 12 related to hotlinks. Hopefully, a hotfix from Graphisoft will be released before too long to address this'. I am concerned about points of no return in projects with many linked files. I was not aware that the Demo was fully-functional for 30 days, so thanks for pointing that way.

On the other hand if I save the files to 'Trial', work a few days, come up against the bug only then, and need to wait for some who-knows-when-it's-coming hotfix for things to work again, oh the tragedy, I don't want to even imagine that.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ignacio, I think moving to AC12 is the right move. Although it is now fully multiprocessor, there is a considerable improvement of speed. In fact, the most troubles I had on a single processor machine was zooming and panning - each action took a second to refresh. Once I tried AC12 a cannot go back to 11. Strange, there was no such problem with AC10 on the same project, so it was an A11 specific problem.

I also like to mention AC12 is not so full of bugs as 11 was. It performs very well!