Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Reverse light

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi mates,
I was searching the documenation and also this awesome board but couldn't find a solution for this:

I want to design shining floor in a bathroom.
I need a reverse light tool but can't find any - nor any kind of parameter.
I mean I need a light that will shine from down - up, from floor to ceiling

There is a lightning PANEL but only with traditional light.
Please help me,
regards
Mar
30 REPLIES 30
Andy Thomson
Advisor
These ones aren't doin' it for ya?
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Anonymous
Not applicable
Of course not.
I want to be able to make a shining bar for example.
Andy Thomson
Advisor
Have you tried messing with materials? In 'reality' where is the light coming from? A valence? Translucent tiles? Or is the room just too dark?
Director
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
Anonymous
Not applicable
andyro wrote:
Have you tried messing with materials? In 'reality' where is the light coming from? A valence? Translucent tiles? Or is the room just too dark?
1 My bathroom doesnt have natural light
2 I want to make a source of this light --> lets say it can be a shinning bar which I want to place in the floor.

As I said before I need to make a light which source will be installed in the floor but it will shine in oposite direction
Anonymous
Not applicable
Search for advice by Dwight, from his book, describing either a plasma tv screen or neon / fluorescent lighting. This should point you in the right direction. Or just buy his book.

The trick is that the object does not provide the light source itself, it is a prop, and the light source is actually from the objects andyro mentions.
Andy Thomson
Advisor
Using the settings in that material screnshot to make light strips in the floor, and setting an uplight with parallel sides (cone shape = cylinder) and making the object larger than the room - you get the effect s2uart refers to....

Anyways, you can plop those in valences or do the Billy Jean floor, whatever works...
Director
Anonymous
Not applicable
You could try opening "strip lamp" and "saving it as" under a different name
then go into the 3D scipt and right at the top type mulz -1 and then
save the part. This creates a rectangular lamp that points upward.
Peter Devlin
Andy Thomson
Advisor
Great idea Peter, the object becomes stretchy, but the light is still cast from a square (with a silly cone) in the center....see screenshot below...is there perhaps a way to modify the uplight cone to be truly a parallel light object, then we could use the tilt angle parameter to direct it. Even if inner and outer cones are set to zero degrees, the object still casts raking cone light....which is why I typically make thes objects huge, but then the effect is not entirely accurate...

What to try next??
Picture 6.png
Director
Anonymous
Not applicable
Andy,
I know very little about lamps because I rarely do interior renderings.
Looking at the code for a light source type object in the GDL manual,
I can see that GS does not have a truly diffuse light source
so apparently we are stuck with some form of cone shape.
I have never created a light source type object so I don't
know if what you are asking is possible in GDL.
Perhaps someone with experience coding light sources
could answer your question.
Peter Devlin