Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

vertical seam metal roofing

Anonymous
Not applicable
How are people on this forum creating vertical seam metal roofing? Modeling or just texture?

If only texture is there no way within Lightworks material editor to have two colour shaders? That way I could have one to create the seams and another for the material colour (aged copper in my case) while keeping the material “procedural” instead of going for an image map.

copper.jpg
5 REPLIES 5
Gerald Hoffman
Enthusiast
I use CadImage's Roof Accessories which works pretty well but you would not be able to apply 2 different shaders with it. The easiest solution might be to do it with roofs, 1 for the skin of the sheeting and then do all of the standing seams with narrow roof pieces of the desired height and centres. You can also use small roof pieces for hip and valley flashings etc.

I have also done it this way and once you have some of the different pieces made up and angles figured out you can copy and place wherever you need them.

Cheers,
Gerald Hoffman
“The simplification of anything is always sensational” GKC
Archicad 4.55 - 27-5030 USA
2019 MacBook Pro (64GB w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU)
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
We're using roofs to model them at the moment. It's not the best work around, but visually it works well. (see example below)

Using bump textures for this didn't look right and didn't allow for proper placement/control over the seams.

You could also try using the RoofMaker add-on to create rafters that stick through the roof and applying the proper material, layer, etc. to them. It's a bit quicker, but more work to edit if things change.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Chazz
Enthusiast
What about the good old (but poorly documented) Accessories (roof slab and wall). Some of the wall stuff is looking really silly in the age of profiled, canted slanted, etc walls but the roof and slab bits still work well. One of the roof accessories has a standing seam option and the best part is that, as accessories, they remain linked to the roof plains. I love that.

Look for Goodies under the help menu or see this Link.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks for all the advice, the Roof Accessories works like a charm! I'll post some renderings once I'm done with this design proposal end of the week.
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is what it the (roof accessories/ roof surfacer/standing seem) ended up looking like. I might need more control once this goes to WD I’m not sure, but for this stage it worked great, it's linked to the roof so it adjusts automatically as the roof changes.

Too bad though I couldn’t use the (wall accessories/ moldings and panels) to create the different materials and moldings on the wall’s exterior, it didn’t wrap the corner properly and when you cut a window in the wall it doesn’t return the material. So I had to use separate walls instead.