BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Interface with 3-D TV and VR glasses

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think that it would be really nice if the software was able to use the new 3-D televisions for presentations. I am not familiar with the video formats that can interface with the players or if it is possible to use it as a monitor type application or if you would have to render out a movie that could be played on the displays. The other technology that is advancing is the 3-D glasses. They have become much more affordable and accessible.
8 REPLIES 8
Karl Ottenstein
Graphisoft already supports 3D viewing with the Virtual Building Explorer (VBE) add-on:
http://www.graphisoft.com/products/virtual-building-explorer/

although I'm not sure why the web site does not give more "play" to the red/cyan viewing mode which works pretty nicely. (There is also a left-eye/right-eye viewing mode that would require some special hardware I would guess - have not heard anyone talk about that mode.)

So, while not cool new polarized or shuttered 3D glasses, the cheap red-cyan ones work with wherever you have your computer, or connect your laptop to an HDTV.

Cheers,
Karl

PS Attached is a reduced screenshot from the NHS Office Building. Will post an exterior image next. Of course, with VBE, it is entirely a live, dynamic walkthrough, but you can still create static screenshots to send to people.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
An exterior red/cyan anaglyphic screenshot from the free, downloadable VBE viewer for the NHS Office Building (link on GS web site in previous post)...
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I tend to do presentations where I either generate a flythrough of a project or in some cases I will just use the computer to navigate through it live so that when questions come up we can go to that area and explain the current situation.

The issue I commonly have is that allot of people out there just do not have the ability to comprehend a 3-D situation when presented in 2-D. There brains are not able to comprehend it. Through experience I have noticed that if the camera is moving it is a little easier for those people to understand but if I can show them in 3-D what is happening I think my projects would have allot less field change orders.
Anonymous
Not applicable
One year later and still no advancement in the 3-D Interface.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The last post was back in version 15, I have not seen any improvements made in the two versions sense. Unless I am missing a capability in the software.

Has anyone else had any luck with 3-D viewing.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
This is an available option:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0imhLRlqRA
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Barry Kelly
Have you tried connecting to a 3D TV and turning on the 3D Simulated mode?
I know it works because I just tried it but can't say exactly how good it is because all the batteries are flat in my 3D glasses!
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Stress Co_
Advisor
These look promising.
OCULUS RIFT
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Learn and get certified!