BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Better (or new) object format for importing objects

Anonymous
Not applicable
There are thousands of great objects in 3ds and obj format.
Tried many times to import some of them, but many times the size of the new gdl is many times the size of the imported object.

I just wanted to import a great 3d jakuzzi and the resulted file was a 20MB file when the original 3ds was about 2MB

We definately need to import objects in a new way, not in gdl format, but in some binary one, so we can use the great pool of objects out there.
6 REPLIES 6
Dwight
Newcomer
Totally with you.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes! Graphisoft please see this.

Well, everybody knows the power of GDL, how it is more intelligent than any other 3d format. Ok, but this superiority is very reduced by the small number of commercial products out there, as GDL isn't the 3d world standard format.

What the GDL world most miss is Design. The default ArchiCAD library has no design at all, so I can´t find contemporaries models of sink, taps, cabinets, sofas, etc.. I know I could make one by myself, but not very productive right? Importing 3DS archives makes it sooo havy.
3DS format is dull, but as a standard format it has the best archive of models out there. Websites like this one is what I mean:
http://www.e-interiors.net
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I do not think it is a problem of GDL itself. I suppose that a new optimised import/export 3DS filter for AC would be a solution.
::rk
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think the main problem is that, if for example i import a simple 3ds cylinder then the imported object wont be a cylinder. It will recreate faces.

Creating an add in that wil actually interpolate surfaces to recreate primitive surfaces is very very complex.

Indeed i cannot use any of those great designs found in 3ds or other formats.
If i have to seat and make it myself, it would take a decade.

It does not have to be 3ds the internal format, but some kind of 3dformat that will make the import procedure useable
Dwight
Newcomer
Have you tried using Cinema 4D as an intermediary?
Dwight Atkinson
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I think the main problem is that, if for example i import a simple 3ds cylinder then the imported object wont be a cylinder. It will recreate faces.
Exactly what I meant. I am not an expert in file formats but it should be possible to create an import filter that recognises certain geometry and converts it to the same in AC.
::rk
Learn and get certified!