BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Camera lens to angle conversion

Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
It would be quite handy to have an automatic conversion of the view cone in the camera settings to actual camera lens in mm. When working on a photomontage is a really difficult task to find out the proper view cone angle of the camera. Let's make that more usable and move from the computer and artificial definitions to more realistic (and easy-to-use) settings, so anyone who tries to create a photomontage wouldn't have to spend 2-3 hours just on bloody camera tweakings. I do not believe that should be a big deal. It's just a formula to work that out.

my mate from our office has found this diagram somewhere, so just for illustration what I mean:

lens.jpg
::rk
7 REPLIES 7
Djordje
Ace
Rob wrote:
It would be quite handy to have an automatic conversion of the view cone in the camera settings to actual camera lens in mm.
Only for the standard 35mm film cameras. You don't want to start this on the digitl ones ... each is different.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Dwight
Newcomer
And an almost impossible task:

Lens angle in 35mm is measured diagonally on a fixed film plane having a 2:3 ratio. (Or3:4 in some digital cameras)

In ArchiCAD, the image ratio is not fixed, introducing a variable....

In a level ArchiCAD view, the camera angle is measured horizontally - no direct relation to camera lens angle measurement.
Dwight Atkinson
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
And an almost impossible task:
hmmm
In ArchiCAD, the image ratio is not fixed, introducing a variable....
wouldn't it be possible to work that out even with the extra ratio variable? I am just trying to understand it.
Dwight
Newcomer
I suppose a chart could be made.

Your best bet right now is to use the "Align view tool."
Dwight Atkinson
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Align view tool sucks...

thanks anyway
Dwight
Newcomer
I know what you mean.

I use the align tool to clean my ArchiCAD carpet objects.

Too bad it doesn't come with a crevice tool....
Dwight Atkinson
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Dwight, you've got me with your crevice tool, I had to check that on the net what the hell you are talking about.
We call it like that end bit on a hoover that you use for narrow crack vacuuming.
ha! what about that!
Learn and get certified!