BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Layers

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello
My name is Ottorino Cassotta and i work with ArchiCad since the name was Radar/CH since 3rd version. (1984)-( for references see www.proarch.it and Cigraph Italy)
I always appreciated the software annual upgrade but I have a question about an element of the software that, perhaps, you did not thought of. The question is about the use of the layers.
The software has a layer gestion which can be grouped by extension, XRef and visibility.
But, in a complex project, layers are used also to define all of the elements that are part of the project.
For this reason I’m thinking that an important upgrade to organise the layer window could be the grouping of the layers in a gerarchy graphic folder which could permit the designer to find more easily the layers the wants to activate or disactivate with a great time saving.
I attached two sample shoot: the first is the actual shoot of gestion layers and the second is the shoot of my personal gestion layers.

An alternative method of managment could be the possibility to activate more than one layer combination at a time. This could possibly semplify the upgrade I described above.
23 REPLIES 23
jl_lt
Ace
I vote essential. A hierarchy folder system for layers and combinations would greatly enhance many workflows.

Meanwhile, in case you havent, i suggest reading Mr Shoegnome's most excellent article about layers which includes many useful tips for organizing them within archicad's current capabilities:

https://blog.graphisoftus.com/archicad-user/archicad-layer-theory-part-5-attribute-names-and-the-tyr...
Karl Ottenstein
I agree on the hierarchical layer wish 🙂 Even then, this wish would be helpful:
leven wrote:
A very old and simple wish that never gets fulfilled somehow: a search field in the layer panel would be highly appreciated.

As of AC 23, we still cannot search within the Layers dialog at all, which is a shame.

The Attribute Manager layer combo/layers tab does have a search function - but it only searches Layer Combinations. There is no Layer search. (This seems like an interface design error - why allow one search and not the other?)

The Info Box (and tool settings layer control) DOES support searching, in case you have not noticed this. Just start typing and the matching layers will be highlighted. As an example, in the attached, I had the linear Dimension Tool active, clicked on the Layer control in the Info Box and then typed "dim" to highlight the available layers containing "dimension".
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Karl wrote:
The Attribute Manager layer combo/layers tab does have a search function - but it only searches Layer Combinations. There is no Layer search. (This seems like an interface design error - why allow one search and not the other?)
Hi Karl, you can search Layers in the Attribute Manager, just need to give "focus" to the Layers list, vs the Combo list. If you click a Layer and use the Search at the top, it'll Search the active list. Not both lists at the same time - I think there was a technical reason for this, but I don't remember now.
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
Karl Ottenstein
James wrote:
Karl wrote:
Hi Karl, you can search Layers in the Attribute Manager, just need to give "focus" to the Layers list, vs the Combo list. If you click a Layer and use the Search at the top, it'll Search the active list. Not both lists at the same time - I think there was a technical reason for this, but I don't remember now.
Doh. Thanks, James - that works! It is odd though that no combo is selected when the Combo list is searched (open the dialog), but to give the focus to the Layers List a layer must be selected. I must have not done that the other day - sorry. (It would feel more natural to me if there was a separate search box for each list.)
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!