Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Revisions Field in Autotext

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know something like this has been discussed before, but could we please, please have a field in Autotext called 'Revision' which gets added to the file name in publisher between the Layout number and the Layout name, so that the first revision of:

P_300 Plan.PDF

will be saved as:

P_300_A Plan.PDF

to eliminate the risk of the revised layout overwriting the previous issue.

Not difficult, surely. But so important for our practice, and, judging from the previous feedback, for many many others.

(Of course, it would be really nice if it could be linked to a revisions notes panel on the layout, but I guess that would be just too much to ask)
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
I struggle too with revisions. My suggestion is that you can schedule objects placed on layouts. Then make a simple date object and the schedule can extract data from that object and connect it to the layout it is on.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Masterscript: that sounds really interesting. Could you be a little more specific for those of us who aren't too familiar with GDL?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, if schedule could list objects just like it does on floorplans it could work like this.
I create a new object "date". It would have a parameter "revision number" and "revision date".

The schedule would then go through all the layouts (similair to stories) and do something like: Layout "01-ground floor " has object "date" and that has the parameter "revsion number" with the value "Revision A"
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, this is very good idea to have the ability to schedule Objects placed on Layouts.
Master Script, care to make a wish for it?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Actually the whole new layer needs to be added to AC addressing:
1. Revisions (including clouds, better scale autotext handling, may be an automatic change recognition that would tell you what has actually changed on a layout since last publishing etc...)
2. Publishing and Archiving (customised autotext-like names for layout in publisher)
3. Transmittal Record handling (with whole new data structure of recipients, issue naming and purpose etc..)

I do not think that adding just new type of autotext would be the solution.
::rk
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rob wrote:
Actually the whole new layer needs to be added to AC addressing:
1. Revisions (including clouds, better scale autotext handling, may be an automatic change recognition that would tell you what has actually changed on a layout since last publishing etc...)
2. Publishing and Archiving (customised autotext-like names for layout in publisher)
3. Transmittal Record handling (with whole new data structure of recipients, issue naming and purpose etc..)

I do not think that adding just new type of autotext would be the solution.
This is an essential piece of the documentation process. Revit has been doing this and built in keynoting for a number of versions. Why is Archicad lagging behind in these essential fields? (not trying to make it a comparison game, as I enjoy using Archicad, but cannot work out why these important areas are overlooked)
Anonymous
Not applicable
My idea is very similar:

If layouts would have some custom (or preset) parameters (let's say 100 of them) that could be used as criteria in scheme's and as autotexts, then one could easily use them to handle revisions.

The parameters could be for example 'part of 1st revision' and 'date of 1st revision' as well as 'changes made in 1st revision'. The autotexts could be placed in the masters, so that each layout automatically would get the right revision texts. The parameter 'part of first revision' could be used to filter layouts in a scheme in order to create specific drawing indexes for each revision. This would save me many hours of extremely tedious and robotic work.

It would be great if one could also choose to set the parameter to a global value so that the same values (the date for example), easily could be set and changed on all layouts that are part of a specific revision.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Last comment about revisions has been made in 2009 and in 2012 new version of Archicad 16 coming out and still don't have revisions. I wonder if this will ever be included in Archicad. There is nothing to complicated to do, even Revit has got that build in. We do have Cadimage Revisions plug in fancy, expensive and not really simple to use. I would be happy to swap some modelling in 3D tools for automatic revisions. I don't dream about Drawing Transmittal just revision manager similar to Revit please. If Autodesk did it I guess Graphisoft developers can do the same or even better.

Have a look how this is done in Revit and please let us know why it is not yet done in Archicad. Below is link to Revit revision how to.

http://docs.autodesk.com/REVIT/2010/ENU/Revit%20Architecture%202010%20Users%20Guide/RAC/index.html?u...

Ps. I hate Revit just to let you know