Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Set 3D Texture Origin in elevation/section

Kaj_AL
Booster

This would save so much time, and be a lot easier than having to find the correct place in 3D, and then go back to elevation to see if the corresponding fill has moved correctly. Something similar to how a fill origin can be moved would be great, maybe than can be turned on and off in the On-Screen View Options or somewhere similar.

Thank you!

Kaj

Archicad 24-27 SWE
Dell Precision 5560, Windows 11 Pro
11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11950H @ 2.60GHz 2.61 GHz
7 REPLIES 7
Paul King
Mentor

I would upvote this many times if I could!

PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
David O
Booster

I totally agree I do this all the time it can be a bit hit & miss this would be so much better

roderick
Booster

Absolutely !  This would be so helpful, especially for interior design work, so that you could fine-tune tile pattern starting points when working on interior elevations, and then having the 3D representation of the surface match automatically.  This would be a huge time-saver, also because sometimes the feature of defining the 3D texture origin is very tricky especially for fairly new users.

Roderick Anderson
SARCO Architects Costa Rica
Archicad 25 SPA
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max - Apple Studio Display - OSX 12.51 (latest)

It would be good to have the option of aligning textures based on element geometries.

For example, If I draw a wall then perhaps I want the texture to start from the starting point of that wall - or mid-point.

Similar to the CurtainWall settings (pattern start).

Erik Bjornhage : SwedishChef, ETTELVA Arkitekter, Gothenburg, Sweden
Architect : Digital Development : Graphisoft Cert. BIM-Manager
ETTELVA Arkitekter : Eriks LinkedIn
DELL Precision 5570; i7-12700H; 64 GB; RTX A2000 [8GB] : AC12 - future

Hi Erik

You can do that but it is a little awkward to do, if you place a small object on the floor plan at the point you need the texture to start from then select the wall & the object, Let's say a small column of about 10mm x 10mm height or sizes is not really important just position, next select the wall and the object & view it in 3D, then select the wall  then select the document menu, creative imaging, align texture, set origin and click the edge of the column, the texture will then move to that position, I have it setup as a keyboard shortcut shift O as I use it all the time, one really good feature is it also sets your vectoral hatching so say you have tiles on a wall & you want to set their origin point on the centre of a basin, this will move this as well so your elevation will be correct, I have attached some images to let you see what I mean.

Regards

David

texture original position.png

texture position moved to column edge.png

Archicad set origin command.png

  

Yes, this has been possible for a while - but this workflow relies on the user going into the 3D-view and manually adjusting this.

It would be great if we could set (perhaps in the element) the starting point of the texture (and corresponding fill).

That way there is less need for manual adjustments - which in larger projects never happens or takes an obscene amount of time.

Erik Bjornhage : SwedishChef, ETTELVA Arkitekter, Gothenburg, Sweden
Architect : Digital Development : Graphisoft Cert. BIM-Manager
ETTELVA Arkitekter : Eriks LinkedIn
DELL Precision 5570; i7-12700H; 64 GB; RTX A2000 [8GB] : AC12 - future

Hi Erik 

I agree with you totally, it is a pain to do, I hope they can do it in future versions of Archicad