cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

X-Refs and Layers

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just did a quick search and hope I have not missed another post on this...

I prefer to see x-ref layers in a group on their own especially as often AutoCAD users have different layer names due to their work flow processes.
Mixing these through the Layer list as currently occurs is a nightmare IMHO.

To alleviate the problem I add a prefix letter and dash to each of the layer names before x-refing that file (i.e. it becomes a hot-linked PLN). - I note someone else has suggested this too - anyway

A quick and simple "fix" would be if GS could add to the DWG plug-in an option to add a (definable) prefix to each of the layer names upon import. Who knows - we could get this increased functionality before the next release as it is a simple update to the plug-in!
3 REPLIES 3
__archiben
Booster
robert

there are actually a few threads discussing x-ref management and layer behavior issues, but i don't think raising this issue again will be considered too much of a crime!
rwallis wrote:
I prefer to see x-ref layers in a group on their own especially as often AutoCAD users have different layer names due to their workflow processes.
Mixing these through the Layer list as currently occurs is a nightmare IMHO.
the solution as i see it is a hierarchial layer list - i think that it's essential to keep x-ref layers and project layers within the same list because layer combinations often require one or two layers from an x-ref as well, no?
A quick and simple "fix" would be if GS could add to the DWG plugin an option to add a (definable) prefix to each of the layer names upon import. Who knows - we could get this increased functinality before the next release as it is a simple update to the plug-in!
when attaching or overlaying an x-ref, archiCAD prefixes the layer name with the name of the file and a pipeline (eg. a_dwg_file | a_layer_name). the trouble with this is the number of characters allowed in this newly created name often means the truncating of important information. whether this lies on the DWG side or the archiCAD side i'm not sure, but fixing this would seem to provide a solution as well.

anyways, do a serach for "x-refs + layers" - there's plenty of discussion there for mulling over . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your comment - I had read your nested layers idea and it isn't a bad one as they could all hide (collapse) under the parent.

Please understand this suggestion is one that I think could be easily added, and we wouldn't have to wait for a major upgrade. Also, the prefix (which I mentioned could be defined) could be a letter/number so as to reduce layer name length problems.....(I add a Z- OR X- to layer names before linking the file (so it is a hotlinked PLN not a strictly an x-ref) so that the layers group together near the bottom of the layer list...

BTW how is the view from your hammock, or have you avoided the tsunami?
__archiben
Booster
rwallis wrote:
I add a Z- OR X- to layer names before linking the file (so it is a hotlinked PLN not a strictly an x-ref) so that the layers group together near the bottom of the layer list...
ah! so a semi-automatic workaround for you at the moment would be to rename your dwg files to "Z_shortfilename" and use the x-ref functionality. archiCAD would then add the 'prefix' for you as a part of the x-ref process and keep the layers at the bottom of the list?

i have my own layers set up with "!_", "3D_" or "a123_" prefixes. this almost always guarantees that any DWG files that i attach will drop in at the bottom . . .
BTW how is the view from your hammock, or have you avoided the tsunami?
all is well thank you! i was on the other side of thailand - didn't even get a tremmer. it's really surreal being so close (a couple of hundred kms maybe) to such a tragedy without seeing, hearing or feeling any of the fallout. funny old world.

btw - it's ok to vote in your own poll

cheers!
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup