BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

slabs and roofs should be affected by skin priorities

Anonymous
Not applicable
It is possible to assign a composite structure to a floor slab or a roof. Why not make it so roofs and slabs use the skin priorities that are associated with those composites? This would make it much easier to control the intersection between floors, roofs and walls. As it is now, the only way I have figured out how to get the above result is to make a complex profile wall with the sheathing and siding hanging down over the band, which means you are stuck with a seam at each floor level.

wallandslab.JPG
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
OK, I get your point.
That was easy.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Krippahl wrote:
laszlonagy wrote:
OK, I get your point.
That was easy.
Not so easy...

I think that the process Krippahl described is actually a work around (and, as Laszlo pointed, doesn't cover all issues) for something AC just don't do... wich is "skin priority with slabs and roofs"...
In a concept design model phase we usually don't care about structure (Of course with good common sense)... And I wouldn't even think of modeling finishes with a different slab/wall...
I agree that we architects should not design structures (sometimes concept design is too much)... But in the design process we all (must) take it in account...
And I don't like the idea of building 2 models... One for concept and another for construction...
If I had "skin priority with slabs and roofs" I could just turn the "core only" option of my concept design model and send it to the engineer...
Then he would calculate it, make the appropriate changes and send it back to me... Job done!

My 2 cents...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Not to stretch the point to far, I would like to point out that, obviously, slabs in early design phase incorporate structure and finishes in a single slab.

In that phase, it is of no importance also that the skins of that slab can be tweaked in section.

Later in the project, and as soon as we receive the model from the engenieer - usually also a early design solution for him - those generic slabs turn into finishing slabs, with a simple click.

I would never recommend using two different models, it is just the same model that evolves and has added information.

The process you describe does not seem to work in real life. The model the engineer sends you is exported from a calculus software, and has no recognition regarding core and finishing layers. It exports structural slabs, period. Those slabs get inserted into our model, changed if necessary (always) and resend to the engineer, who then recalculates them. And resend. And resend. Ad nauseum...

Finally, and again, I do not defend that control of skins in slabs is not important, only that it's importance is not as big as you would expect it to be, once you start exchanging data with the engineer, which all of us should (and few of us do, I venture).
Anonymous
Not applicable
Krippahl wrote:
Later in the project, and as soon as we receive the model from the engenieer - usually also a early design solution for him - those generic slabs turn into finishing slabs, with a simple click.
My bad... I thought the finishing slabs were 2... One for the top finish and another for bottom...
Krippahl wrote:
The process you describe does not seem to work in real life. The model the engineer sends you is exported from a calculus software, and has no recognition regarding core and finishing layers.
You are right... That was my dreamer side speaking too loud...

Maybe I over reacted... It's because I never really understood a "skin priority" feature that only works in 2d!?... It just don't make any sense...

Thank you for your feedback... Always wise.
Learn and get certified!