cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Professor Pickle
Advocate
When working with a busy model it is often difficult to select the right object/element. Tabbing through the available selection candidates sometimes doesn't work and it takes a bit of zooming in and out to finally get at the right thing.

Other times we have some objects whose shape and position has been set and locked and they won't change. Selecting those elements doesn't make sense most of the time.

It would be really helpful if there was a way to disable selection of locked items. This of course would be a toggle option of the selection process.
23 Comments
ethanbodnar
Advocate

Was just about to post about this issue, thought I was just silly newish Archicad user, but seems like a real thing!

"GS seem oblivious" — yep exactly, for this and many other very basic things.

Here's my experience:

• Drawing is locked but can still select it for some reason. This is rather annoying when trying to select other things that are part of the drawing, or on top of it, since my thinking is to lock the drawing, so I can do other stuff around it without it moving. For example dragging over a large area to multi-select objects without getting the drawing. I guess it’s technically locked, but still just gets selected?
  • Seems like every other design program I've used it just doesn’t get selected. My brain sees it getting selected and thinks that it’s going to have whatever I’m doing to other things selected done to it. Maybe this is just how it is, and I’ve got to rewire my brain.
RobPhill33
Booster

Have you tried using the trace reference?  Might help you.

ethanbodnar
Advocate

Maybe should use Trace Reference more, thanks! This happens lots with terrain and other very basic things, where Trace Reference doesn't really seem sensible, but it could help a bit sometimes.

Status
Upvoted

with 14 Votes

Additional information
Product
Labels