BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Exporting models

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am trying to save/export an archicad file as an stl / igs or similar file to be used to make a stereo lithography model. I can save it as a dwg however when converted to stl file objects are not solids?
6 REPLIES 6
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
tone,
If I remember correctly there used to be a stl converter in earlier versions of ArchiCAD.
This is some thing that has disappeared. Have you tried saving it out as an OBJ?

Cheers.
Ben
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
What about VRML (.wrl)?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Though ArchiCAD feels a lot like solid modeling software, I am afraid that walls, roofs, slabs etc. are not solid at all. This is an issue, since modern CAD should not only plot on paper. We should be able use various "3D printers", afterall real world model of building is needed quite often.
Anonymous
Not applicable
We should be able use various "3D printers", afterall real world model of building is needed quite often.
I have exported to VMRL and had this file directly printed on a 3D printer. Whatever that format is it picks up the thickness of slabs, roofs and walls.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Did the vmrl file need to be converted to anything else?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Did the vmrl file need to be converted to anything else?
Not that I know of, but perhaps it was. It was one of four or so suitable formats that the company that produced the model supported. They very well might have taken that format and converted it prior to printing the model. They did not however need to do any additional work from what I had given them. It turned out to be quite cost effective for producing the required model. I did however need to thicken some of the elements and "back up" all my windows and doors with additional walls behind the glass.
Learn and get certified!