BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

File size

Polar Bear
Booster

Hello All,

I am fairly new to Archicad (3 years), coming from revit env. 

Currently working on

- Archicad: a small house of around 4K sqft located in a cold climat, the file size is around 177 MB and runs super slow on my comp.  No plumbing done and limited furniture on the file.

- Revit: a housing project of around 35000 sqft, file size is around 155 MB with all furniture and plumbing. Run super smooth on the same computer.

My time to spend playing around with Archicad settings is extremely limited and so is my time to play with computer os stuff, i am really not an computer/ coding person....  But what am i doing wrong?  These Archicad project have become frustrating to work on...

Thanks for your kind help.

Archicad 25 - 5010
Macbook pro 13" /Big sur 11.4 + External 4K 27"
2 REPLIES 2
Barry Kelly

A simple search here for "file size" will bring up a lot of posts.

One in particular that may help ... https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Project-Management-articles/How-to-optimize-a-project-s-file-siz...

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Earthworm
Booster

From my own experience:

- One of the bottlenecks could be large imported dwg or exploded pdf files (or any other non-Archicad source: 3ds, obj). We often use them for the situation context, but these are made up of thousands of small lines, curves, ect. 

- Sloppy modeling

- Lots of morphs

- very complex or sloppy complex profiles

ArchiCAD 27 | Intel Xeon W-2225 - 4.10GHz | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3080 | Windows 10
Learn and get certified!