Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

ArchiCAD MEP Modeler

Karl Ottenstein
Some time during this coming week, we can anticipate an announcement from Graphisoft concerning their new MEP Modeler for ArchiCAD.

Various people that you know from these forums have been beta testing it for some time, but of course have been sworn to secrecy. We've just been released from our non-disclosure.

So, I can start the 'leak' of information here. 😉

Personally, I have no real-world MEP experience, so my opinion doesn't carry a lot of weight compared to other people that you may hear from.

I'm really impressed with the MEP Modeler. It's fun to use and has quite a bit of intelligence. Routing and editing is easily done in 3D as well as 2D, and the various parts snap together intelligently...including smart connection 'ports' on both new MEP objects as well as related objects in the standard library (sinks, WCs, washer/dryer, furnace, etc). Touching elements can be treated as an assembly.

Conflicts with other building elements are easily highlighted with a Collision Detection feature that really works well and is cleverly integrated with the markup features of ArchiCAD. Only collisions between MEP elements and any other element are detected. (It is not a general-purpose collision detection feature: it will not detect a column that penetrates a floor, for example.)

The MEP Preferences let you pre-define the typical sizes and lengths used for ducts, pipes and cable carriers to make it easier to work with components that correspond to actual building elements.

The MEP Systems dialog lets you define the various systems to be used in your building and how elements in each system should appear. For example, ductwork is for air, but you can define systems for Cooling, Exhaust Air, Heating, Return Air, Recovery Air, etc as desired, all of which would use ductwork, but might display themselves with different pens, materials or line styles - and which would be selectable as systems.

There are a couple of unique work methods, but nothing big - just have to learn it. For example, if you select multiple MEP elements and want to modify them together, you cannot use the Object Settings dialog or Edit Selection Set, instead there is an Edit Selected Elements dialog. But, since that dialog is customized for MEP, it is actually cleaner, once you are used to it.

There are new pet palette options for editing, and there is a connection library part that one can assemble along with other AC elements and save a custom MEP part with smart ports without programming in GDL. For example, if you needed a floor grate for a conditioned air system, you could create it with tiny walls or beams (etc), place the connection object as desired under it, and save the bits as a new lib part. When you route ductwork to this floor grate, it will snap to the port.

This is just a way-cool and long-awaited addition to ArchiCAD.

I have no information on pricing, etc.... so am staying tuned for the announcement like everyone else. We're told that a WIBU protection keyplug is required to run the MEP Modeler within ArchiCAD: it can be either the same keyplug that has your ArchiCAD license, or a separate one.

Cheers,
Karl

PS There is also a new plug-in for AutoCAD MEP 2008 and 2009 that allows you to export AutoCAD MEP systems into ArchiCAD via IFC. I did not test this, so can't offer any comments.

PPS I do not receive any compensation from Graphisoft for this post or any of my time/work on these forums or the wiki.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
63 REPLIES 63
Dennis Lee
Booster
With all this slowdown in the construction industry and all, I am still not letting go of a slight hope that the CEO keep his word and make it free. Only a slight hope though...
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Karl Ottenstein
Peter wrote:
Is this MEP thingy just an add-on, or is it a completely separate version of AC?

How do the features compare to, say, Revit MEP? Is there any automation? Can it calculate duct & pipe sizes automatically, depending on loading or length etc? Any sort of duct auto-routing between outlets?

How does the new 'add-on'(?) deal with plumbing and electrical systems? Are the editing tools similar too?

I assume the parts created are fully schedulable per branch/circuit?
The MEP Modeler is a combination of add-on (plug-in), library and work environment...and some updates to some ArchiCAD internals. As noted in my original post, but perhaps to be clarified when the press release is made, it requires a separate license which can either be added to an existing WIBU keyplug, or placed on a separate keyplug.

I have to assume that this is not free (Dennis's question), since otherwise, why would a separate license be required?

Duct and pipe sizes are not calculated automatically by loading, but loading can be attached to the manually sized elements via parameters as with other GDL objects.

There is no duct auto-routing - but I cannot imagine how that could possibly work correctly anyway, as it would be DWIM (Do What I Mean, or Read My Mind, RMM). Routing snaps to terminal element hotspots, and is so really quick and easy to do without any 'magic'. Speaking of magic, you can also magic wand ducts, pipes, etc.

Everything is schedulable based on whatever information you assign to the elements, just as with all other ArchiCAD schedules.

Cheers,
Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
TomWaltz
Participant
Karl wrote:
There is no duct auto-routing - but I cannot imagine how that could possibly work correctly anyway, as it would be DWIM (Do What I Mean, or Read My Mind, RMM).
Autocad MEP does this pretty well. It offers a couple options that avoid obstacles like other ducts, beams, and columns.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks again for the update, Karl. I couldn't work out how the auto-routing might work either, I was just going by what Revit MEP said it could do!

I look forward to reading the full specs when it is formally announced. (Hopefully free to anyone with over 500 posts! )
Erich
Contributor
Peter wrote:
(Hopefully free to anyone with over 500 posts! )
Aww man, now I have to start spamming you folks to get my count up...

Seriously, I look forward to seeing what is to be offered. The hype here makes it sound positive. Does the work environment borrow any from the new workflow for curtain walls?
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
Is MEP Modeler compatible with previous versions like AC10?
Karl Ottenstein
jaesengh wrote:
Is MEP Modeler compatible with previous versions like AC10?
No. It is hosted by ArchiCAD 12.

Karl
Akos Pfemeter
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Dear Archi-Talkers,

Please find the official announcement about the Graphisoft MEP Modeler here

www.graphisoft.com/company/press_zone/graphisoft_mep_modeler.html

Akos Pfemeter

VP Global Cross-Brand Sales, Graphisoft

Director of Global Marketing,

I could not find any pricing information about the MEP Modeler on any ArchiCAD distributor website today.

Perhaps you can get them to tell us how much it will cost and some of the other critical information we would need in order to purchase the MEP Modeler.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Akos Pfemeter
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Steve,

I suggest you talk directly to your local ArchiCAD representative to collect details about US pricing.

akos

Akos Pfemeter

VP Global Cross-Brand Sales, Graphisoft