Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

AutoCad , Back to MAC (beta screenshots) !

TMA_80
Enthusiast
it's almost here:

http://www.macstories.net/news/first-screenshots-of-autocad-for-mac/

I can assume we should hear the same thing for Revit ...GS be careful ! .
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
54 REPLIES 54
Anonymous
Not applicable
Running software on a Mac via VMware, Parallels or Bootcamp is not the same as running them on Mac OS.

VMware and Parallels allow you to run on a Intel based Mac pc, but you have to run Windows OS on top of Mac OS, which means less resources available.

Running Bootcamp transforms you Mac hardware into a Windows PC, but then you loose all the advantages you have on working on a Mac OS based system (simplicity, power, security, stability, etc.).

So, unless Autodesk develops their products, for instance Autocad, specifically for the Mac Operating System, this is a misleading news. A publicity stunt, or, as they say, having the cake and eating it at the same time.

It only fools those who want to be fooled.
Chazz
Enthusiast
Miguel, I agree but this appears to be a real, honest OSX port. I don't think it's a hoax like that rumor of an AchiCAD viewer for the iPhone turned out to be. Though after that experience, I could see how you would be suspicious
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Anonymous
Not applicable
lec1212 wrote:
Hi Braza
"Cloud computing is on its way"
Yeh, and that bums me out.
It's all sooner than we want (including music), that it will be more
like renting the right to use the whatever by
the minute or whatever the big kahunas dictate.
Better get your songs now, large cloud delivery centers
are being built as fast as they can:-(((((((

lec
I'm all for cloud computing as well. Do you realize how much piracy that will cut down? You'll only be able to use the software if you have a valid login. That means no more multiple installations of the same license on other computers. You won't be able to sell your license to someone else.

Service packs, updates and revisions to the software itself will lower your IT costs, which will be very nice. All you'll need is a computer with an internet connection and web browser. That should cut down on costs for hardware and video cards. Supercomputers can be used to create instant high end renderings for you.

Of course, it will all be subscription based, so you will be paying forever. But, wouldn't it be nice if you could use other products on an as needed basis and not have to pay for programs you don't use all of the time.

Autodesk already has been using Citrix and has Project Freewheel, Project Butterfly and Project Twitch that you can check out and use several Autodesk products, including Revit that are cloud based for modeling, reviewing and revisions

Freewheel DWF Collaboration: view and review using the cloud
http://labs.autodesk.com/technologies/freewheel/
Butterfly DWG Editing: edit drawing files using your web browser
http://labs.autodesk.com/technologies/butterfly/
Twitch: Application Trials over Web
http://labs.autodesk.com/technologies/trials/

I certainly hope that Graphisoft has made that investment in these technologies for you.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I think at this point no one knows how cloud computing will play out.
There are many benefits pitched at us by software companies, several of which are well-grounded.

My main concern is that this gives more and more control in the hands of the developer. Users will be totally at the mercy of the software company.
Do we as users want that?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Cloud computing? High-level graphics performance is pretty hard to send over the pipe...
Anonymous
Not applicable
"Users will be totally at the mercy of the software company. "
Then it would be time to storm the castle.
As like in the French revolution.

Don't just be weary of BIG BROTHERs, FEAR THEM!!
FOR THEY WANT TO PUT CHAINs AROUND YOUR NECK
from the clouds above.
Ride Paul Revere, ride.

"Lets us not talk falsely now, for the hour is getting late."
Bob Dylan

Just my opinion.
lec
Anonymous
Not applicable
The instant they force me to the cloud (internet outages, anyone?!?) is the day I no longer use their software. It's MY data and I'm keeping it!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Folks,
laszlonagy wrote:
Users will be totally at the mercy of the software company.
Aren't we all at this precise time? 😉
laszlonagy wrote:
Do we as users want that?
I don't... but what can I do against it? Its their legal right. I buy/rent only if I want, right?
metanoia wrote:
The instant they force me to the cloud (internet outages, anyone?!?) is the day I no longer use their software. It's MY data and I'm keeping it!
Well... Technically it will still be YOUR data... But in order to work/handle it you will have to be in the "Cloud".
Like your mail... All of your private and professional data is handled every day by your internet/mail provider/server... And you still sleep well, right?

Personally I like the concept of cloud computing... You know... more people paying should lead to lower rates...
The intentions are good... but we know that the hell is full of good intentioned guys.
owen
Newcomer
REVIT3DdotCOM wrote:
I'm all for cloud computing as well. Do you realize how much piracy that will cut down? You'll only be able to use the software if you have a valid login. That means no more multiple installations of the same license on other computers. You won't be able to sell your license to someone else.
Sounds like you are a Revit reseller (but Graphisoft is heading this way too)

Software 'licensing' and most EULA's are a pile of bullshit to me .. an opinion which the judiciary in your country looks like upholding as well FYI. They are just starting to be tested legally and have yet to be ruled enforcable. It is a product which you purchase, own and are free to sell again if you no longer need it provided you do not keep a copy i.e you stop using the product. That is copyright infringement just like buying a book, photocopying it and then selling the original. But the book publisher has no right to stop you selling the orginal, just the right to take you to court should you make a copy of it.

Taking your earlier analogy to complaining about getting 20mpg in your car ... what if your car manufacturer said you had no right to sell your now-used car when you want to change models or simply no longer need a car? What is the difference with software? (copy-ability aside which is a copyright issue)
REVIT3DdotCOM wrote:
Service packs, updates and revisions to the software itself will lower your IT costs, which will be very nice. All you'll need is a computer with an internet connection and web browser. That should cut down on costs for hardware and video cards.

Of course, it will all be subscription based, so you will be paying forever. But, wouldn't it be nice if you could use other products on an as needed basis and not have to pay for programs you don't use all of the time.

I certainly hope that Graphisoft has made that investment in these technologies for you.
Cloud-computing may well have a future in non-processor intensive applications but I just cannot see remote server farms taking over from high-powered workstations for design firms with users running multiple applications like Photoshop, ArchiCAD/Revit, C4D/Max, Rhino, etc. Cloud-computing is really only significantly cheaper when predicated on most users rarely using all available CPU resources so one server can host multiple users. This is really no different to a current high-end desktop sharing multiple users simultaneously .. something that would be unbearable to me. There is a reason our standard workstation is an 8-Core Mac Pro with 8GB+ RAM .. people need it. You are not going to get that performance reliably out of cloud-computing .. certainly not when your or your software providers internet connection goes down.

I can't help but think this push to cloud-computing has more to do with software developers retaining more and more control over their users and less about what their users might need.
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Anonymous
Not applicable
In the beginning (before Autodesk), Revit was only available by subscription.
I don't know the exact amount then, but I believe it was a monthly subscription.