cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Can't generate a useful .3ds file

I am unable to save my ArchiCAD 18 models as .3ds and import them to Maxwell Render.

The Maxwell Render plug-in works but so I can get the model in to Maxwell Studio but not by saving the model as .3ds and then importing it.

I have been able to do it a few times saving the model as .obj

Anyone else have a problem generating usable .3ds files from very large ArchiCAD files?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

1 REPLY 1
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I tend to suspect that one or two or a limited number of ArchiCAD elements may prevent the 3DS file from saving.
Does the saving process present you with an error message?

You could try to track down the problematic elements by making one layer visible and saving just that as 3DS. If it saves all elements on that layer are fine.
Then make another layer visible and save again. And by making additional layers visible and saving again and again, you can find at least the layer of the element which causes the 3DS not to save.
Then you can continue narrowing it down and finding the problematic element(s).
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27